Bonsai forum

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Trident Maple Leaf Burn 9 years 2 weeks ago #15234

• shaunbrook7104
  • Thanks received: 3
Have you tried a drip tray underneath filled with gravel and water? This will evaporate and make a small amount of humidity.

It's worth a shot but you may have to top it up daily with water ;)

Just don't sit the pot in water tho that's why the gravel is there; to provide a gap so the soil doesn't get waterlogged :silly:

Let us know how it turns out?

Trident Maple Leaf Burn 9 years 2 weeks ago #15237

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Have you tried a drip tray underneath filled with gravel and water? This will evaporate and make a small amount of humidity.

Hi shaunbrook,

This subject has been extensively discussed in several threads inside this forum and it has converged to the fact that the "drip tray" can do little to no effect whatsoever in helping to increase the amount of surrounding humidity of a tree. To achieve so, it would be necessary a much larger amount of water than that contained within a small or large, for that matter, "drip tray". That is a myth... That won´t effectively achieve the purpose is supposed to be able to accomplish.

Alain

Trident Maple Leaf Burn 9 years 2 weeks ago #15240

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

A drip tray? Outside? In drying winds? Seriously...

Trident Maple Leaf Burn 9 years 2 weeks ago #15243

• shaunbrook7104
  • Thanks received: 3
Auk it was an idea, sorry if it wasn't up to your standards!!

It was just an idea I shared as people do on forums

Trident Maple Leaf Burn 9 years 2 weeks ago #15250

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Auk it was an idea, sorry if it wasn't up to your standards!!

Oh, but I hardly have standards! Putting a tree on a on a humidity tray - outside, in drying winds - just goes against my logic. Any vapor coming from that tray will be blown away and will do exactly nothing for a tree.

BTW:
A drip tray is a small tray that goes with a bonsai pot, to protect your furniture from water coming out of the drainage hole.
A humidity tray is a much larger tray, usually plastic. I've seen a test from someone on youtube, who tested such trays, but it made little difference, hardly enough to have a real effect on bonsai trees *1).

I have to humidity meters myself, they've been lying around here for quite some time now, as I wanted to repeat that test... haven't done it though. I may try one day.

It was just an idea I shared as people do on forums

Absolutely! And then you get a response. As people do on forums :)

*1) Movie is here:

Conclusion is that to have some effect, you would need a LOT of humidity trays - but the effect is minimal and hardly worth the hassle.
  • Page:
Cron Job Starts