Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Noobie needs help! 8 years 11 months ago #15857

• Xur
  • Xur's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So I got my tree to start growing, miracle in itself. I got it as a gift, in one of those little kits. I'm not sure what kind it is, or what exactly I'm supposed to do next...

When/how should I move it into a normal pot and take off this mesh stuff?
I have been keeping it on a west facing windowsill that gets a good bit of indirect light, and it seems to be drinking the water pretty well. Should this always be kept inside? Or should it go outside some time in the summer?

Is there anything I should look for for signs that I need to change the routine?

This is my first time growing any type of plant...and I'm amazed I got this far. Thanks in advance!

-Xur

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Noobie needs help! 8 years 11 months ago #15860

• Contrainer
  • Thanks received: 15
Got absolutely no friggin idea what it is, but I do know trees should be outside. However, such a young seedling in such a little amount might want to grow a little bigger before you put it outside, except for if you put it in de full ground now.
Looks a bit like a tree with needles though.

Good luck and have fun man

Noobie needs help! 8 years 11 months ago #15863

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
I have a small idea, I bought I as a gift ages ago, and the one I got was a jack pine (see attachment, if same as yours, then it is a jack pine). do what contrainer said and no problems should pop up. best advice I can give: don't get this sort of thing again, they are an incredible waste of time, unless you want to spend that time. mine was £5 and so yours should be around that price. With that money, in the UK at least, you can get a foot tall pine at some places (maybe at homebase or B&Q). remember, this is not bonsai-bonsai is not a species. the photo on the front of the box is not even a good photo of a good bonsai. these "bonsai kits" are existing only to get money for the producer and no more.

But by all means, grow away :) and enjoy.

Last edit: Post by bob.

Noobie needs help! 8 years 11 months ago #15864

• Xur
  • Xur's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Yeap! That's the kit. Was just something I figured I'd try... Kind of attached to the little guy by now. Might help teach me some patience.

Noobie needs help! 8 years 11 months ago #15870

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
So, yep, definitely a jack pine. Maybe do a bit of googling on it.

Good luck,
And enjoy every second :) .

Noobie needs help! 8 years 11 months ago #15871

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
They look like pine to me. Could be any species of pine. In these grow-kits there does not really seem to be a relation between species and packaging.

I would put the sprout in a lager container (or indeed, in the full ground). Substrate in the container: Something that drains well. Pines HATE wet feet. That being said.. I have sown japanese red and brown pines for bonsai this winter, and they are still in the spagnum I put the seeds in. In summer I will transplant them I suppose. (The birds got into this one, so it is really messy):

• Page: