Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Juniper (Phoenix Graft) 12 years 8 months ago #828

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
That makes more sense. Technically that would not be agraft I think though.

In your case: beste to make sure you get your juniperus to set root properly first, and then transplant them into the cracks. It may then still take over a year before it is clear whether these would take hold though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Juniper (Phoenix Graft) 12 years 8 months ago #831

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Kyle,

I agree with leatherback's suggestion to root your little Juniper branches first then put some bonsai soil in the cracks of the dead wood to transplant them into which, in addition to what I had suggested using rooting hormone and keeping the dead wood damp in order to give them a fighting chance to take hold.

If you think of trees that grow out of the face of a rock cliff, there is a very small amount of rotting debri and/or soil there that has accumulated which will germinate the seed and temporarily sustain the seedling. As this seedling grows, the roots will travel through the crevices in the rock in an effort to find more nutrients in order to survive. Still it is a game of chance with enormous effort in very fragile conditions that decides whether or not the tree will or will not survive. Some will make it and some won't.

I think it's wonderful that you have taken on such a challenging project and I wish you great success with it. I look forward to following it's progress so please, keep us posted! :cheer:

Leslie

Re: Juniper (Phoenix Graft) 12 years 8 months ago #834

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
Tsk, tsk, pulling rank, are we leatherback? :pinch: *mock glare*
:P I'm just kidding, it's neat to know there's a passionate expert on here! Maybe you could direct me to some of your works?
But back to Kyle, this has given me several ideas regarding the rotting pile of willow wood out back. :dry: :woohoo:
I agree with the previously mentioned mantra to be careful, but I also think that this is your tree and wish you the best of luck in accomplishing your goal. Keep us posted!

Re: Juniper (Phoenix Graft) 12 years 8 months ago #846

• KyleMB
  • KyleMB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for all the advice. Will keep everyone posted!

• Page: