Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New w/ Young Cypress 8 years 8 months ago #16608

• brandon
  • brandon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi there, I've recently purchased a small (what was labeled) Sawara Cypress from my local nursery as I've had an interest in the art of Bonsai. At the time of purchase I was unaware of the best place to purchase something to get started with, and hope that I'm going on the right path.

My concern is I got a bit anxious (as most newbies likely do) and repotted it and began some serious pruning. It was a very tight ball of green when purchased, and seemed to be outgrowing the tiny pot that it was originally in, so I thought that I was doing it a favor by doing these things. After doing some more research, it seems like I may have gone a bit overboard.

Essentially what I'm asking is, did I go too far? Should I start with something different now that I know what mistakes I've made? I really like this species and I feel like I could see this turning out to something beautiful, but it's hard to tell without knowing the extent of the damage. I've attached some images after it was repotted and pruned and freshly watered.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New w/ Young Cypress 8 years 8 months ago #16613

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hi Brandon, and welcome to the forum.

Did you do too much? Too early to tell. I'll let you in on a little secret: We all get over-excited with a new tree. The main different is.. Some of us have a bit better feel for how much work a tree can handel, and therefor are succesfull doing trimming, wiring an repotting in one session. Some others kill the tree by wiring alone.

Just give it rest for now. If you see clear new growth it will pull through. With nice summer weather this may be clear as soon as 2 weeks from now.

For subsequent endeavours.. Try to hold back a little and/or ask for advice before doing it. I know it sometimes sounds like people doing bonsai are scared little grannies with their "don't do all at once", but unfortunately, for many species it does mean death in the hands of the inexperienced.

New w/ Young Cypress 8 years 8 months ago #16624

• brandon
  • brandon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you for the information, leatherback. I will continue to read these forums and hope that my efforts will help my tree grow strong

• Page: