Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Tree suggestions 8 years 8 months ago #16769

• MaeFlowers
  • MaeFlowers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone

I have never attempted to grow a bonsai before, but I absolutely love growing things, and I am interested in trying my hand with one of these beauties. My question is what species of tree I would have the best luck with growing. All of my plants live in my office, as anything I bring home gets murdered by our youngest cat.

I have a lovely South facing window, but it tends to get very cold in the wintertime, as I live in Alberta and the temperature drops to -40, and the window doesn't completely block that out. I can move the tree to somewhere further away on my desk if needed, but my office never gets very warm, even in the summertime. I have low humidity, which can be helped with misting and water trays.

I would like to get a tree that I stand a good chance at not killing just from it not liking my office conditions, so does anyone have any suggestions on what type of tree I should start with? I love Japanese maples, as they were my grandpa's favourite tree, but I am not sure if my window would be an appropriate spot for them, even with the temperature drop in the wintertime.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tree suggestions 8 years 8 months ago #16770

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I would like to get a tree that I stand a good chance at not killing just from it not liking my office conditions, so does anyone have any suggestions on what type of tree I should start with? I love Japanese maples, as they were my grandpa's favourite tree, but I am not sure if my window would be an appropriate spot for them, even with the temperature drop in the wintertime.

Maples will not survive, but neither will other tree species - they all belong outside.
Some species survive indoors, but it will be difficult in an office environment. Misting/spraying will not help.

Only plant I can come up with is a jade tree. They tolerate a lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oneeyedguy99

Tree suggestions 8 years 8 months ago #16771

• MaeFlowers
  • MaeFlowers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
That's helpful, thanks. I will do some research on that one.

• Page: