Bonsai forum

New to bonsai, looking for help!

• mabatbai
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

New to bonsai, looking for help! was created by mabatbai

Posted 8 years 8 months ago #16820
Hello! I just purchased my first bonsai tree last weekend. I bought it from a local nursery, I believe it's a serissa (I'll include pics). I immediately transferred the tree to a new bonsai pot and secured it with wire. I've been keeping it indoors, it gets plenty of sun early in the day in the east-facing window. I water it everyday with a mister. It seems to be doing well? It loses a few leaves from time to time but nothing too drastic as far as I can tell. I'm intrigued to figure out if/when I should be wiring/pruning. Also looking for ideas on best places to get tools for a beginner. Finally, feel free to offer suggestions on the setup. I placed rocks around the top (probably mostly based on looks and what I've seen online) and am curious to know if this is possibly bad for the tree. Sorry for the long post, but appreciate any help you can offer!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

by mabatbai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic New to bonsai, looking for help!

Posted 8 years 8 months ago #16822

mabatbai wrote: Hello! I just purchased my first bonsai tree last weekend.

Nice. Can you post a photo?

I immediately transferred the tree to a new bonsai pot and secured it with wire.

Why ?

I'm intrigued to figure out if/when I should be wiring/pruning.

Learn to walk before you run. Do not prune unless you know why, how and when. Personally, I would never wire a serissa. I wouldn't buy one either... they don't last long under my care.

I placed rocks around the top

The rocks add no value. I would remove them.

Serissa care guidelines:
web.archive.org/web/20080429200117/http:...species/serissa.html
Last Edit:8 years 8 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Auk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.