Bonsai forum

Bonsai newbie please help Jap red maple vs rd mapl

• millerste10
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Bonsai newbie please help Jap red maple vs rd mapl was created by millerste10

Posted 8 years 7 months ago #16910
Ok, Im completely new to bonsai. When I say completely new I mean I have 0 knowledge or experience with anything pertaining to bonsai lol. Just keep that in mind. Im very interested in learning all I can and I am fascinated with the art of bonsai so any help will be greatly appreciated. For my first bonsai I really want to get a japanese maple or red maple. Ive ordered 30 acer rubrum heirloom scarlett maple seeds and 10 japanese sakura cherry blossom seeds(I figured id try out more than one type of tree as im sure I will be unsuccessful at first). Any ideas on how I should germinate the seeds? What kind of soil/pots to use? Ive read it could take up to a year or 2 before any decent sized seedlings will form. So in the mean time I am also looking for some Japanese or Red maple 1-3 yr seedlings. I really would like one that keeps Red leaves year round (Ive read the bloodgoods are great Red color keepers). When/if I find a good seedling should i repot immediately after getting it? Basically Im looking for a detailed guideline on how someone with bonsai experience would go about purchasing their first bonsai knowing what they know now. After all, hindsight is 20/20 lol Please help me!!! Thanks, Steve
by millerste10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Bonsai newbie please help Jap red maple vs rd mapl

Posted 8 years 7 months ago #16912

millerste10 wrote: Ok, Im completely new to bonsai. When I say completely new I mean I have 0 knowledge or experience
Ive ordered 30 acer rubrum heirloom scarlett maple seeds and 10 japanese sakura cherry blossom seeds.
(I figured id try out more than one type of tree as im sure I will be unsuccessful at first). Any ideas on how I should germinate the seeds? What kind of soil/pots to use? Ive read it could take up to a year or 2 before any decent sized seedlings will form. So in the mean time I am also looking for some Japanese or Red maple 1-3 yr seedlings. I really would like one that keeps Red leaves year round

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to answer your questions. Bonsai is a difficult art. It is just not possible to give detailed guidelines in a few words, on a forum, on how to grow bonsai trees, let alone to someone who doesn't even know - and apparently hasn't even bothered to look up - what a good way is to start with bonsai (loads of articles to be found on this subject), how to germinate seeds (numerous articles about that subject), what soil to use for seeds (countless pages to be found on that subject)... and what a deciduous tree is.

Do your own homework in stead of letting us do it for you.

Basically Im looking for a detailed guideline on how someone with bonsai experience would go about purchasing their first bonsai knowing what they know now

If I would buy my first bonsai knowing what I know now, I would buy the same tree as what I would buy now, wouldn't I - and it would not be a tree suitable for beginners.
Last Edit:8 years 7 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Auk.

• millerste10
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by millerste10 on topic Bonsai newbie please help Jap red maple vs rd mapl

Posted 8 years 7 months ago #16913
That was very helpful. Thanks =) Asshole
by millerste10

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Bonsai newbie please help Jap red maple vs rd mapl

Posted 8 years 7 months ago #16916

millerste10 wrote: That was very helpful. Thanks =) Asshole

Agreeed.
THat was helpfull. And to help you get started read.. www.bonsaiempire.com/basics

While you grow from seed, go out and buy a plant. Any plant. And read. Auk is right. Learning how to grow bonsai takes years. Not a few lines on a forum.

Good plant for bonsai here: www.kaizenbonsai.com/italian-cypress-eve...n-bonsai-tree-ts1960 . But perhaps not the material to get started with. This is more robust, provided winter protection is given. www.kaizenbonsai.com/trident-maple-bonsai-tree-ts2485
by leatherback