Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Trying to properly ID 8 years 6 months ago #17177

• Symplistik
  • Symplistik's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello all,

First off I just want to say hi to everyone. I am a new member from Vancouver, BC Canada and this is my first post. I have been involved with Bonsai for a little over a year now (Newbie) and have a couple outdoor trees that so far have been sucessfull (Black pine, Japanese Maple, Hinoki Cypress).

My question is regarding the photos I have attached. My wife just bought me this tree as a gift from a local bonsai Nursery. I have had 2 different people give me 2 different answers about the ID of the tree. I was hoping someone could have a look and help me out so I can research its exact requirements and needs. I also notice that is has Lichen? over most of the tree and alot of the inner branches appear to be dead. Until I got a better understanding of the tree I have not touched anything. Should I remove the lichen and should I start snipping out all the dead inner foliage?

Thank you in advance for your help everyone. :)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Orlando

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Symplistik.

Trying to properly ID 8 years 6 months ago #17180

• Symplistik
Sorry but the close up photo of the needles would not upload right side up. The photo is upside down.

Trying to properly ID 8 years 6 months ago #17181

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Looks like a spruce to me (Picea Conica Glauca?). What's that stuff on the branches? Picture isn't to clear, but it looks... dirty. I'd certainly remove the 'lichen'. Also, I'd clean out the old dead twigs (at least, I think that's what they are - the grey ones) and clean the trunk/branches. Again, I'm not sure what I'm seeing on the picture, I'd need a better close-up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Symplistik

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Trying to properly ID 8 years 6 months ago #17182

• Symplistik
Thank you for the reply Auk. I was also wondering what it is on the branches. I thought it was lichen as the entire tree was covered. I have started cleaning it all carefully with a toothbrush. Other then the dead twigs on the inners of the tree it appears healthy. I will take a few more clear close ups when I get home from work shortly and upload in hopes to better help with your assistance. Thanks again . :)

Trying to properly ID 8 years 6 months ago #17184

• Symplistik
I have attached a few clearer close up photos. The 'dirt on the branches I thought was lichen? Do you think it is a ezo spruce? I have started scrubbing and cleaning the lichen off but I cannot clean the finer branches without breaking them. Also on the backside a lot of the lower twig branches appear to be dead but a few still have some needles. Should I cut ALL of these off the tree? (There are a lot)

Trying to properly ID 8 years 6 months ago #17185

• Symplistik
More photos

Trying to properly ID 8 years 5 months ago #17192

• Symplistik
Bump for help please. :)

Trying to properly ID 8 years 5 months ago #17193

• Matsutake
  • Thanks received: 2
Hello Symplistik,

when I fist saw your images abies koreana came to my mind. But there are a lot of American species I have never seen in real life, so it could well be one that I just haven't come across yet. Maybe the needles are a bit too pointed for a. koreana. Can't you just go back to the nursery your wife got the tree from and ask them? Definitely looks like a kind of spruce or fir.

Anyway, if this was my tree, I would not only cut off all dead twigs, but also everything living that won't be needed for future styling. This will grant the inner parts of the tree better access to air and light, which is crucial for back budding with all conifers i know. Where I live, this can be done now, but I don't know your climate, so please take this into consideration. The abundance of lichen and undergrowth speaks for a very long time since the tree has last been repotted. What kind of soil is it planted in? Looking at your pictures I'd say your tree should probably be repotted soon (next spring).

Trying to properly ID 8 years 5 months ago #17194

• Symplistik
Thank you for the reply Matsutake. I believe the tree has seen a good stretch since its last repot and I plan on repotting this coming spring. Where I live we are just entering fall. I plan to clip out all the dead growth along with un needed. I have also started cleaning all the lichen off the tree as it appears there is so much that it is choking off the tree from air and light as well as effecting this years new shoots (they are all covered in white and dying off).

Thank you for your attempt at ID. I think I will take your advice and return to the nursery to ask. Will this type of tree backbud on brown branches? may be a stupid question but I know from reading that some trees will not. This will effect how I trim out old and dead branches.

Trying to properly ID 8 years 5 months ago #17195

• Matsutake
  • Thanks received: 2
Since we haven't ID'd the tree yet, I can't tell if it will produce buds on brown branches. And to be completely honest I don't know what you mean by brown branches... But no matter where back budding is possible, it needs sunlight, so you'll have to thin out the canopy somehow.

If you have a chance to go back to the nursery and ask questions, this is the first step to take. Try to find out as much as possible: Where is the tree from, when was it last repotted, what fertilizer was used and how often and of course what species is it.

The rather short and yellowish needles could hint at a lack of nutrition in the past, but could also be a feature of the species...

• Page: