Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

should I worry for my ficus ? 8 years 6 months ago #17300

• Caroline
  • Caroline's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi! I am new to the bonsai world but quickly got very interested.

About two months ago I bought myself a small ficus (nerifolia fig) at Canadian tire, the first weeks were fine, no leaf lost. I went on a 5 days trip and when I came back it was loosing about three leaves a day. I repoted it anyway in a bigger pot to let it grow larger, I didnt check the roots too much but everything seemed normal. I didnt made a case of the leaves lost then since ficus are know t loose leaves.

I looked a it more attentively and it had some secretions on the leaves that I thought was honeydew so I treated it for pest with water and soap. I cant seem to see any insect or pest in it anymore, and no more honeydew either so at least there is this problem that seem to be fixed.

The leaf lost didnt stop tho! I've read that ficus can go to six months or so to adapt to new environment but I dont think it will have any more leaves if it really takes that long!

My poting soil is a mix of compost, perlite and vermiculite (with also its original soil in which I bought it)

I'm not sure if I should worry or not, so I took some pictures and it would be really nice to have some opinions :)

Thanks in advance!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

should I worry for my ficus ? 8 years 6 months ago #17301

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Seems you know you did not buy a bonsai, but that you bought a ficus to turn into a bonsai in the future?
As it's not a bonsai yet, you can follow the general guidelines for Ficus (actually... these guidelines would be helpful too if it was a bonsai). There's a lot of information you can find on gardening websites - and rather than copy/pasting, I'd like to point you to, for example:

www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/fic...us-losing-leaves.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: