Bonsai forum

Yellowing Juniper Bonsai Tree

• Stanlijane
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Yellowing Juniper Bonsai Tree was created by Stanlijane

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22342
Hello all.
I have always been interested in bonsai trees and just received my first Juniper bonsai tree a few weeks ago as a gift. I wasn't aware until very recently that sunlight through the window wasn't quite sufficient enough. The leaves around the bottoms of the branches have started to yellow a bit and I have moved it to a location outside where it gets sun for atleast the first half of the day.
Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to kill this beautiful 6 year old tree. Can post pictures tomorrow.
Thanks!
Last Edit:7 years 10 months ago by Stanlijane
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Stanlijane.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic Yellowing Juniper Bonsai Tree

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22343
Junipers need to be kept outside, and on the dry side. Maybe it's not dead, yet. We get similar questions to this often, so don't feel bad.

Take it outside, place it in the sunniest place you can find, then go to ' www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/juniper '. If You send a picture, maybe we can tell it just needs to dry out or not.

Bonsai, takes time, and patience, just to learn, what it's about. Then you have to wait for the stupid tree to grow, so you can shape it.

Oh welcome to the forum... ;)
by Samantha
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stanlijane

• Indo Andreas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 92

Replied by Indo Andreas on topic Yellowing Juniper Bonsai Tree

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22362
Welcome to the forum, a picture would be good to give a comment to your tree.
by Indo Andreas

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Replied by eangola on topic Yellowing Juniper Bonsai Tree

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22379

Stanlijane wrote: Hello all.
I have always been interested in bonsai trees and just received my first Juniper bonsai tree a few weeks ago as a gift. I wasn't aware until very recently that sunlight through the window wasn't quite sufficient enough. The leaves around the bottoms of the branches have started to yellow a bit and I have moved it to a location outside where it gets sun for atleast the first half of the day.
Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to kill this beautiful 6 year old tree. Can post pictures tomorrow.
Thanks!

Having in inside was what started to kill your tree, it is not just a matter of sunlight. It is the whole environment, Junipers need to be outside so you did the right think taking it outside. Remember to water, yes Junipers like it on the dry side but that should be defined by the soil mix you use more than anything else. If you let it dry, it will die. Of course you bought it and don't know what type of soil it is in, which can make watering a bit tricky, as others say, pictures should help.

Yellowing of the leaves mean the tree is dead or dying, put it on a shady area (outside) mist the leaves twice or 3 times day, feel the soil with your finger for watering, or use a bamboo chopstick.
by eangola

• Stanlijane
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Stanlijane on topic Yellowing Juniper Bonsai Tree

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22417
Thank you for your comments. Here are some pictures to help. It has been outside for about 5 days now and seems to be doing much better, not continuing to yellow anyways. It gets morning sun until about 5 in the evening, is this too much sun? It has also rained off and on since then, should I protect it from rainfall? And do I need to do anything about the already yellowed leaves or should I just let them fall naturally?
Thanks again!
by Stanlijane

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Replied by eangola on topic Yellowing Juniper Bonsai Tree

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22419

Stanlijane wrote: Thank you for your comments. Here are some pictures to help. It has been outside for about 5 days now and seems to be doing much better, not continuing to yellow anyways. It gets morning sun until about 5 in the evening, is this too much sun? It has also rained off and on since then, should I protect it from rainfall? And do I need to do anything about the already yellowed leaves or should I just let them fall naturally?
Thanks again!

Your tree looks fine. just make sure it doesn't dry out, read the section on watering here on this website. Let it take the rain, it is good for the foliage. It is a tree, it loves the environment. Only protect it from really harsh sun, say temps get too hot (100), take it to a shady area. I don't know where you live though, so can't give better advice. Soil seems good, but I don't know what's under it. leave the leaves alone, the tree looks healthy.

You are probably going to get lots of advice from folks here on planting the tree on the ground, or a big pot to let it grow as a bonsai, as right now it looks more like a "mallsai". It doesn't matter, if you like it, just leave it then, it all depends what you want. Take care of it, make sure it survives, remember to water correctly and fertilize, most people under fertilize their trees.

good luck :)
Last Edit:7 years 10 months ago by eangola
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by eangola.

• Stanlijane
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22421
Good to know it is still good, love this little tree. The guy at the nursery said not to worry about fertilizing but the book I bought today says to feed at half strength all growing season, and that a garden fertilizer at half strength is just fine. I have all purpose miracle gro plant food that I use on my veggies/ herbs /flowers outside about once a week during summer, will this suffice or should I get a more bonsai specific fertilizer?
I live in East Tennesse btw, temperatures now are mid 70's but will increase into the 90's with pretty high humidity.
by Stanlijane

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Yellowing Juniper Bonsai Tree

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22422

eangola wrote:

Stanlijane wrote: The leaves around the bottoms of the branches have started to yellow a bit

Yellowing of the leaves mean the tree is dead or dying,

Yellowing of the needles at the bottoms of the branches does NOT mean the tree is dead or dying.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: eangola, Stanlijane

• Stanlijane
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22424
Is this a sign of not enough light then? Just good to know for the future as I would like to turn this in to a hobby in time.
by Stanlijane

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Yellowing Juniper Bonsai Tree

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22425

Stanlijane wrote: The guy at the nursery said not to worry about fertilizing but the book I bought today says to feed at half strength

That's an old myth. Fertilize according to the instructions on the package.

www.evergreengardenworks.com/fertiliz.htm
Last Edit:7 years 10 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Auk.