Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ugly wire visible 7 years 9 months ago #22605

• Stanlijane
  • Stanlijane's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So I did a bit of pruning and thinning out of this 6 year old Juniper bonsai that I got as a gift about a month ago now that I know it likes it's new home outside!
The roots and soil are covered with this lava rock type stuff which I'm not incredibly fond of, and would like to let it grow some moss to have a more natural look to it. Upon uncovering the soil, it appears that many of the roots are exposed and the wire holding the tree in is unsightly. Should I just add a bit more soil on the top of everything, and does it matter what type if it's just the top layer? The primary soil mix appears to have sand, but not sure what else. Pictures attached.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ugly wire visible 7 years 9 months ago #22607

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

So I did a bit of pruning and thinning out of this 6 year old Juniper bonsai that I got as a gift about a month ago now that I know it likes it's new home outside!
The roots and soil are covered with this lava rock type stuff which I'm not incredibly fond of, and would like to let it grow some moss to have a more natural look to it. Upon uncovering the soil, it appears that many of the roots are exposed and the wire holding the tree in is unsightly. Should I just add a bit more soil on the top of everything, and does it matter what type if it's just the top layer? The primary soil mix appears to have sand, but not sure what else. Pictures attached.

Top soil doesn't matter much you can use anything you want. You know you can also remove the wire if the tree is settled in the pot. Good job thinning, looks nice. You can add small river rock on top, or sand, lava rock, pumice, akadama, etc... topping is mostly decoration, or to add moisture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stanlijane

Ugly wire visible 7 years 9 months ago #22608

• Stanlijane
Thanks, trying to take it slow since this is my first one, but would like to start wiring soon to train it in to my own style. Not sure how long it has been in this particular pot, though it seems to be fairly established. The guy at the nursery said that the wiring of the roots helped to keep it in it's small "bonsai" form, is this a myth?

Last edit: Post by Stanlijane.

Ugly wire visible 7 years 9 months ago #22609

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Thanks, trying to take it slow since this is my first one, but would like to start wiring soon to train it in to my own style. Not sure how long it has been in this particular pot, though it seems to be fairly established. The guy at the nursery said that the wiring of the roots helped to keep it in it's small "bonsai" form, is this a myth?

False. the wiring of the roots doesn't keep it small. This Juniper is a small shrub, it is small by nature. The wiring of the roots is done to hold the tree in the pot. This wire can be removed if the tree is well anchored in the pot. The way a bonsai stay small is by you trimming, pinching, and pruning. It seems to me the tree needs a little more thinning on the right side, but it is hard to tell from the picture. I suggest you leave it alone, take care of it for a year or two, once you've kept it alive and healthy for a while it is time to style it.

My advice is, you can leave it as it is now, fertilize, water, take care of it, read about Junipers. Once the tree looks vigorous and healthy it will be ready for styling. The color of the foliage tells me the tree is fine, but not vigorous enough for styling. Pay attention to the lower branches on the right side, they might not get enough light/air. Wait until someone more experienced than me gives you an opinion on that though.

Also, don't worry about the visible roots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stanlijane

Last edit: Post by eangola.

Ugly wire visible 7 years 9 months ago #22610

• Stanlijane
Yes, I feel too that the right side is still a bit thick. So far I have mostly just pinched off undesirable new growth along the main trunk/ branches that aren't really a part of the main foliage pads, and downward growth. Thanks for the wiring advice. I'm not fond of where some of the smaller/ younger limbs are at the moment but will hold off until atleast next spring to see how it is all fairing.

• Page: