Bonsai forum

Ficus - how to manage it?

• Ly
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Ficus - how to manage it? was created by Ly

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22663
Hi,
I got this ficus (I think it's a ficus) last August and need help to prune it.
Also it's in a container that needs a plate under it. Is there a way to do that so it looks decorative?
Thank you,
Ly

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
by Ly

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Indo Andreas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 92

Replied by Indo Andreas on topic Ficus - how to manage it?

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22668
I got a few Ficus Benjamin as yours. I can't see where you are from, If you got sun and temperatures that not fall much below 10 degrees then put it outside.
Normally you can cut the ficus back to bare wood or the trunk and it will respond with new shoots. When you know how much you like to cut it back then go for it, when you notice new leaves growing then it is the best time to cut. Here in the tropics it is not dependent on time. You can place them in full sun, even the ground dries out for a day or two it is no problem. Ficus live here in cracks of buildings and sometimes don't get water for month, but its humid all year around. If it would be my tree, I would cut him back to the fork first branches, (or even back to the first branch).
Another way if you like to keep the top (trunk is for my taste to tall), than cut him back to reach a brume stile, first branches after the fork (make the branches look even to the same length as from the fork to the branch, then cut of ¾ of the leaves, the tree then respond with new shoots and leaves, cut clip method. Let new branches grow until the are thicken up, then cut them back.
Choose a large container and plant it to thicken up the trunk. I fertilise once a week with different fertilisers each week. They don't like wet feet to much, so use a good draining soil. Hope this helps, have fun.
by Indo Andreas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ly

• Mitty

Replied by Mitty on topic Ficus - how to manage it?

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22672
I have very healthy 20-30 year old Ficus of various types. I live in Leamington Spa , near Warwick Castle. I keep them mostly in the bathroom which helps with moisture. I use a fairly free draining soil (added humus ). I use large pots. I find all my Ficus need little water and hate being waterlogged. I use small quantities of fertilizer, and trim them quite heavily twice a year. I have found that the more light they are given, the better they seem to be. They are on a long window ledge against the window, where touch wood they are extremely well.
by Mitty

• Ly
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Ly on topic Ficus - how to manage it?

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22679
Thank you, Indo Andreas.
I'm in Canada, zone 4 - and it's rainy/ 10C out today! Indoors over winter is dry so I mist my plants quite a bit.
Yes, I too don't like the height and would like it closer to the rock. I was thinking of pruning it back to first branch below the fork. Would that be too severe?
by Ly

• Ly
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22680
Thank you, Mitty!
by Ly

• Indo Andreas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 92

Replied by Indo Andreas on topic Ficus - how to manage it?

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22681
Yes you can cut at the first branch when it spread new leaves, if you like you can use some plant lights for the dark month, here they grow between 25-35 C degrees, mist them 2-3 times a day, as soon the sun comes out get them outside but make sure the temperature is not so different to what it is inside. Greenhouses work well too. I still would give him a bigger pot, you could burie the rock too and have new roots going all over. They love full sun, cuttings could be used, to be rooting too. There are LED plant lights for Aquariums, these have fans and could be used to give them the light needed. Any other plant light will do with misting . Make sure the light is not to close to burn the leaves.
by Indo Andreas

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Ficus - how to manage it?

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22692
For the time being, I would plant in a bigger container. Do not trim. If youw ant this to become a bonsai, you will need to create a thick trunk first. And that you only get by growing lots of foliage. Focus on getting low branches to grow, and keep the top ones under control, als you need taper in your trunk.
by leatherback

• Ly
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22710
Thank you, leatherback.
I should have been less impulsive about trimming! Will definitely repot and be far more patient. :(
by Ly

• Matthew16929

Replied by Matthew16929 on topic Ficus - how to manage it?

Posted 7 years 10 months ago #22724
A little off topic but I have a ginseng ficus and it does better at my friends house than it does at mine! >:/
It's because it gets more sun!
and that's because ficus are native to South America and hot humid climates so if you have sunny bath room with lots of humidity then AWEsome maybe you'll get some aerial roots going! ( no luck over here ) but if it's not sunny move it to a sunny location when guests aren't over and move it there for the pleasant sight ! Lol
by Matthew16929