Bonsai forum

winter/spring and confused weather.

• hein
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by hein on topic Re: winter/spring and confused weather.

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #885
Hahaha. Yes I do.

The thing is, I've onlt been doing bonsai for little over a year now. And I am loving it. I am one of those people that does research until I can't take in anymore. Then I drink a cup of Ethiopian Sidamo, and read some more. I have build up such an base of info that I thought I had enough. I learned now that you can NEVER learn to much.

I am now at the point where I am looking for a place where I can do some apprenticeship on bonsai. I just love it.

So yeah...you can give me ideas and info as much as you like.:lol:
by hein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: winter/spring and confused weather.

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #886
Haha,

Then you have been at bonsai longer then I have: I only restarted on it in march, when I came across some nice saplings in the garden and decided: To revisit my hobby from 20 years ago.

Just focus on getting to know plants. If you know plants, bonsai work is less of an effort. For every plant you want to grow as a bonsai, ask yourself: What is the natural way for this plant to grow. Where does it occur normally, and what climate can it therefore best handle. And act accordingly.

I have been growing plants pretty much since I could walk; starting with a veggie patch in my mams garden, growing lettuce & carrots. Then moving on to being an avid succulent collector, taking care of the gardens of some 10 neighbours in our street. At 17 I moved out and my student dorm was just one big jungle, and I had my own 200m^2 rented garden. Add to that some professional experience in ecology & plant fysiology, and I think I have a basic understanding of 'how plants tick'. That I think is one of the most important issues in Bonsai: You need to have the horticultural skills, or loose loads of plants. In the end; Growing bonsai is just like growing any other plant: You need to know what they like and how they respond to different treatments. After that, it is a matter of the details of how to place banches, trick to fatten up trunks without nasty scars etc.

I know there are some places in Japan that take on trainees. Should be a fun thing to do for a year.
by leatherback

• hein
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #887
WOW. So that makes you a walking tree and plant dictionary? :lol:

I would LOVE to go to japan to become a apprentice, but for now I will stay in south africa. Do you know Charles Ceranio (surname might be wrong)? He is a bonsai artist from SA and his book he brought out on differant styles of the world is probably the best book I got.
by hein

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by joncoh101 on topic Re: winter/spring and confused weather.

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #958
Ya i live in Cape Town my trees have already started budding. It is indeed worrying
by joncoh101

• hein
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #959
Yeah man it is

My chinese elm is already pushing out new leafs. It also looks like my chinese maple is also making an appearance
by hein

• hein
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #962

joncoh101 wrote: Ya i live in Cape Town my trees have already started budding. It is indeed worrying

Do you think that any late cold will damage the leaves?
by hein