Bonsai forum

Growth Tips!

• KyleMB
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Growth Tips! was created by KyleMB

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #867
Hi guys!

Seeing that this Forum is so useful and full of great information I thought I might as well utilise the knowledge of all the users.

Please share all your tips for causing rapid growth spurts of new foliage, this mainly in connection with my Wild Olive. I am hoping for a lot of new growth to form denser canopies before I settle my Olive in it's final pot.

It has been rather dormant in terms of the growth of new leaves and I was wondering if anyone had some tips and suggestions!

Below is the best picture I have at the moment of the canopies! Will upload a clearer picture tomorrow!

Kind regards
Kyle
by KyleMB

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Growth Tips!

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #868
Olives love the heat. Water when the soil gets dry (Not while stil moist), and give loads of sun. It can stand poor soils, but likes a bit of fertilizer every now and then. Naturally they stand in mineral rich soil (So rather lots of sandy rocky clay kind of stuff than the acidic organic mulch you find in garden centres).

But mind you. Your olive tree will never be a runner growing feet per year. I usually get 6 - 10 inches of growth on a tree in a pot with all space to grow (But I live in a temperate to cool part of the world)
by leatherback

• KyleMB
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by KyleMB on topic Re: Growth Tips!

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #869
Hi Leatherback.

Thanks so much, you have some great tips, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. The tree is at the right size for me right now, so any knew growth at this point I think I'm most likely to cut off. I'm a lot more interested in thickening up the already existing canopies.

Are there any techniques for promoting back growth in Olives?

Thanks
Kyle
by KyleMB