Bonsai forum

Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start?

• Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start?

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #917
Hi Lance...well, I *have* the mini Scheff which I plan on turning into a Bonsai. ;)

Hi Hannah...I hear you! I've seen the glued stones but never heard of the tar-like substance...eewww! Another marketing gimmick to fool the inexperienced! :huh:

Leslie
by Leslie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start?

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #918
The tar stuff could have been a poor attempt at dressing the wound....I guess. The glued rocks are just awful. If you ever buy a bonsai with them on it, you should remove them immediately.
by Pinkham

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start?

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #919

Pinkham wrote: The tar stuff could have been a poor attempt at dressing the wound....I guess. The glued rocks are just awful. If you ever buy a bonsai with them on it, you should remove them immediately.

Or better.. Don't buy that sort of plant :D
by leatherback

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start?

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #920
Are you trying to get us scolded again leslie? . Baha. But no, really. I wouldn't buy one. That's how my brother got so discouraged. His were home depot"bonsai" with the rocks glued on. They were probably in bad shape before he got them.
by Pinkham

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start?

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #921
Hahahahaha,

Scolded, now that is a word that just sounds like the meaning :D

As for bad bonsai: It is indeed the al-cheapo bonsai from supermakets, hardware stores and bad gardening shops that get the trees the name of being 'plants in bad health struggling to stay alive'. Too bad, as it is nice to be so closely involved with another living thing.
by leatherback

• Leslie
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start?

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #922
Scold? :huh: Who, meee??? ;) *Scold* is a great word, isn't it?

I'm embarrassed to say I was one of those who got "fooled" with the first bonsai I bought just a few weeks ago. Remember my posts re: the little Juniper? It had the glued-on stone on the top (which I broke apart) and they had convinced me that I could grow an outside tree indoors. Grrrrrrr...:evil: Ahhh but then I joined the *Bonsai Empire*, met all you wonderful bonsai people and well........."I've come a long way, Baby"! :P

You put it beautifully J...it is nice to be so closely involved with another living thing.:) Thanks everyone for your help and support!

Leslie
by Leslie

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by BassandBonsai on topic Re: Schefflera-Mini Arboricola - Where do I start?

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #924
Yeah, I was really, really lucky, because even though I started with a "mallsai", mine was from Disney, and I got straight information from actual Japanese people manning the store! :lol: Although I've learned a whole lot since then. Also I'm wondering why the seeds from my azalea seed kit haven't come up... :whistle: Anyway, keep up the good work with your schefflera! (Sorry for getting you all off topic.)
by BassandBonsai