Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Replanting my first Bonsai! 6 years 11 months ago #30873

• X-lem
  • X-lem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have been wanting to grow a Bonsai tree for quite some time. A little while ago my fiancée bough me one from Barnes & Nobel (Mini Merry Berry Bonsai Kit). We were very excited. We followed the instructions in the booklet. To my surprise one of the seeds sprouted and is actually doing rather well! The picture shown was taken a number of weeks ago and is now about 3-4 times taller. Roots are growing out the bottom of the soil bulb so it's time to replant.
The instruction booklet says to use 100% bonsai soil, however after doing research I have come understand that there are different ratio's of bonsai soil. Someone suggested that I could use Edna's Best Potting Soil however I'm a little skeptical. What would you recommend for this little plant? Also should I begin using fertalizer right away or even at all?

Thank you for your help! Looking forward to being apart of this forums for years and growing many Bonsai tree's!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by X-lem. Reason: added description

Replanting my first Bonsai! 6 years 11 months ago #30876

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
HI,

Nice to see you have life there.

I do not know edna, let alone her potting mixture so I cannot help you there.
In general: This plant will have a few years of growing to do. I would just plant it in the garden, let it grow tall.

Bonsai kits are almost full lies. Yes. You can grow a bonsai from seed. But it is not the most efficient, let aloone the easiest way.

I would recomment planting it into a larger container or in the full ground. Read a bit on the forum and websites, and understand how many bonsai are grown by cutting down larger trees, rather than from seed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: