Bonsai forum

What is this and why am I killing it?

• Evetil
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

What is this and why am I killing it? was created by Evetil

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33291
What should I do to keep it alive? Is it really a bonsai cause I got it at Walmart too?
by Evetil

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35

Replied by Travi51 on topic What is this and why am I killing it?

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33293
Lol sorry I bought one of those to when I first started and I killed it after the first year, it is a juniper. And from what I can see the soil looks dry, how often do you water and were are you keeping the tree?
by Travi51

• Evetil
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Evetil on topic What is this and why am I killing it?

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33294
I am keeping it inside because I live in Oklahoma and it would blow away outside!
by Evetil

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic What is this and why am I killing it?

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33303
Put it outside and tie it down

It needs to be outside. Always. Junipers really do not survive more than a year or so indoors. They need the fresh air, and lots of light.

It looks like a nice started tree. If you have some experienced bonsai ists in your area, maybe ask them to help you. I think you could make a nice little tree from this. It currently is just a young juniper, but I could imagine a small bonsai shaped from it.

Juniper hates wet roots for a long time. That being said.. It is better to water your tree every few days with lots of water, and waiting till it dries, than to water a little bit every day. If you water, water wwell. Then wait for the surface of the substrate to dry up before watering (Note that in summer a little wetter to avoid it dryingout completely during the daytime heat is ok. In winter when it is cold, keeping it fairly dry is moreimportant)
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evetil

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35

Replied by Travi51 on topic What is this and why am I killing it?

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33304

leatherback wrote: Put it outside and tie it down

It needs to be outside. Always. Junipers really do not survive more than a year or so indoors. They need the fresh air, and lots of light.

It looks like a nice started tree. If you have some experienced bonsai ists in your area, maybe ask them to help you. I think you could make a nice little tree from this. It currently is just a young juniper, but I could imagine a small bonsai shaped from it.

Juniper hates wet roots for a long time. That being said.. It is better to water your tree every few days with lots of water, and waiting till it dries, than to water a little bit every day. If you water, water wwell. Then wait for the surface of the substrate to dry up before watering (Note that in summer a little wetter to avoid it dryingout completely during the daytime heat is ok. In winter when it is cold, keeping it fairly dry is moreimportant)

I agree. And the pot is a good starter one as well. When I had mine I noticed that it had not been reported in a long time it had roots growing out the top so also check that it may need a repotting be for it becomes root bound.
by Travi51

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic What is this and why am I killing it?

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33320

Travi51 wrote: I agree. And the pot is a good starter one as well. When I had mine I noticed that it had not been reported in a long time it had roots growing out the top so also check that it may need a repotting be for it becomes root bound.

Well, thanks.

Just a side note.. Roots do not grow out of the ground. If you see roots on the top of the surface, the soil has washed away, or during repotting some roots were not covered well. But growing upward out of the ground? Nope. Not going to happpen in all but the wettest climates.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Travi51