Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Small juniper possible disease issue 6 years 2 weeks ago #39083

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Yep welcome to being new to this it is called a green mound juniper. It is from Walmart. Don’t laugh yes I said Walmart. Fool me once ok fool me twice no way. Will look for more caring business to buy from this time. That is for sure, next door neighbor is a self trained Bonsai grower. I will ask him for direction.

I wouldn't say you were fooled. You know what it is - a small juniper - and you saw what you purchased. It doesn't seem too healthy, but that is something that can happen if you buy live material.

The thing is that it is indeed just a young juniper. It does not really have any bonsai qualities - which doesn't mean it cannot become a bonsai, but it would take you many years to grow something decent.

Great that you have a neighbour who grows bonsai. He can probably tell you where to get better material.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Small juniper possible disease issue 6 years 2 weeks ago #39102

• Cnixon
  • Cnixon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Reply to Alain: thank you yes I found these location on the site.

Reply to leatherback: thank you very much, I will try this as well before giving up. This is the whole reason I got into this. To figure out how to successfully grow an maintain healthy Bonsai trees. Would repotting be an idea? Maybe place it in a larger pot to give a little room. I will proun the dead away and put in full sun and watch the watering.. thanks again. I will post results as we go through this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Small juniper possible disease issue 6 years 2 weeks ago #39103

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Would repotting be an idea? Maybe place it in a larger pot to give a little room. I will proun the dead away and put in full sun and watch the watering.. thanks again. I will post results as we go through this.

Maybe a slip potting, as it is now spring, but...
Only after you are sure your tree is healthy.
Don't do anything besides cleaning it and watering correctly until you see vigorous growth.
As an example, this below in a Japanese Red Pine I am growing; I live in Brazil, so now is Autumn here. I let it grow the whole season to get stronger, with no wiring, pinching, pruning or decandling, so next season (September is Spring here) it will take some insult from me.
It takes time, but this is bonsai...

Attachment not found

Small juniper possible disease issue 6 years 2 weeks ago #39109

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
certainly do not put it in a bigger pot. The pot is plenty large for this tree.

• Page: