Bonsai forum

What is wrong with my Chinese Elm?

• costakev
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

What is wrong with my Chinese Elm? was created by costakev

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39867
Hello! Thank you for opening this post. I am a beginner bonsai owner and this is my first tree. I recently purchased this tree from an online store (easternleaf) and received it in the condition it is currently in 4 days ago. The soil was pretty dry and I watered it thoroughly making sure the water drained properly. I have kept it on a south facing window with good airflow and moderate sunlight. The foliage seemed healthy but looking closer it seems to be affected by some pest. I've only found two and each attached to a leaf.

The new budding foliage is yellow and some grow with what seems like bite marks. But as you can see it is only on some of the foliage. Is my tree infected? The soil has stayed moist now for several days, and I have not fed it in my care yet. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time!
by costakev

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic What is wrong with my Chinese Elm?

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39868
It is not a particularly good looking plant. The fact that it was transported will always cause stress. It will recover provided you do not try to keep it inside. There could be whitefly or some other insect on it but only you can tell that. But the first thing to do is get it where it belongs outside.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: costakev

• costakev
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by costakev on topic What is wrong with my Chinese Elm?

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39869
When you say not particularly good looking do you mean aesthetically? Or in terms of health? There is no whitefly or any other visible pest other than what was on the leaf in the attached picture. Unfortunately the only outdoor space I have is on a fire escape with limited sunlight. Should I prune any of the damaged foliage/branches and attempt to leave it in outdoor conditions? It is mid spring in my region if that is any help.
by costakev

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic What is wrong with my Chinese Elm?

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39874

costakev wrote: When you say not particularly good looking do you mean aesthetically? Or in terms of health?

Both.
- It doesn't look very healthy
- It does - currently - not have the quality of a real bonsai or even a pre-bonsai

It will be troublesome to get this thriving indoors. The fire escape with little sunlight doesn't seem a solution to me.
Last Edit:5 years 11 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Auk.

• augustine
  • Thanks received: 3

Replied by augustine on topic What is wrong with my Chinese Elm?

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39877
Hit it with a blast of water from sink or shower every day or so for a week to dislodge any insects (cover the soil with foil or plastic wrap so you don't blast it out). Set it up in a window box outside GRADUALLY introducing to full sun/bright conditions.

You're gonna have problems inside. Get yourself some tropicals for indoor bonsai. Join a club if possible.
by augustine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chuckles_E