Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

portulacaria afra 5 years 10 months ago #40525

• Cixelsyd
  • Cixelsyd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
I have a couple of portulacaria afras that I’ve been growing a few years in a superoot air pot in 100% inorganic soil mix (pumice, clay balls, & granite chips). I generally water daily because of how fast they drain without soil. While away for a week (unwatered) I came back to large cracks in their trunks and main braches in one of the P. afras. As I watered it the cracks grew and the bark started lifting in many areas leaving spots where I feared fungus may grow. I peeled some of the bark off the trunk in a few places to prevent crevasses where fungus might grow, it appears to be healing but it’s also continues to peel off in other places (photo attached). Two weeks later I’ve noticed similar cracking on my second plant (it has rained in Florida for past 8 days and plants are kept outdoors). Neither of their trucks feel spongy they feel relatively normal, they also are still branching out and leaves don’t appear abnormal, only branches and trunks seem to be affected.

Any ideas on what’s causing my plants to crack, advise on how to manage the plants, and ideas on how to prevent in the future will be much appreciated.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Blackwood, Nexxus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

portulacaria afra 5 years 6 months ago #44999

• Nexxus
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey there. Mine is doing the same thing, but it started after a squirrel(s) chewed on the nebari and trunk. Now it's developing those cracks elsewhere. Like yours, the leaves are fine and it continues to sprout new growth. Please let me know if you've learned anything. Thanks.

portulacaria afra 4 years 6 months ago #53445

• lomar
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi there, I have been searching with no luck about these problem. I have 3 like this! is it the same? It dried and fell off what seemed to be a healthy branch and keeps eating the trunk. All that bark has been peeling off with no signs of bites!! Any luck with yours? Let me know please
Thank you

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by lomar.

portulacaria afra 4 years 6 months ago #53446

• 333Adriaan333
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 26
What ive found with my ports is thay like a sandy soil like playground soil and normal ground from the garden and dont like a lot of water. I water ons a week if i water twice the bark starts to flake. And it can get up to 40°c up here in summer
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilipJohansen, Leizei

portulacaria afra 4 years 6 months ago #53471

• PhilipJohansen
  • Thanks received: 23
Very informative video about jade.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Leizei

• Page: