Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Juniper Tip Blight 5 years 9 months ago #40668

• Alberta Bonsai
  • Alberta Bonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have come up with a diagnosis of Juniper tip blight for my 48 year old Tsukumo Cypress. It appears that in the UK they are still able to use systemic fungicides such as Rose Clear Ultra with excellent success to battle tip blight. Most systemics have been banned in Canada. Not sure what the status is in the US but suspect it is also banned. So..... with systemic fugicides out of the picture, how am I going to save this old tree. What are people using to "battle the blight". Thanks for any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Juniper Tip Blight 5 years 9 months ago #40687

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
"Juniper tip blight is caused by one or two fungal pathogens, Kabatina tip blight (Kabatina juniperi) and/or Phomopsis tip blight (Phomopsis juniperovora). Both pathogens commonly infect young first year shoots, but can occasionally infect older shoots and stems. Similar to other blight causing diseases, once an infection has begun, juniper tips will rapidly turn brown and die.
The best method for controlling juniper tip blight is through good cultural practices and sanitation. As soon as tip blight becomes evident, the diseased shoots should be pruned out and destroyed since the dead juniper tips can continue to produce spores for up to 2 years.
Cut several inches below the infection and disinfect pruners often using a 10% bleach solution, 70% alcohol solution or other commercially available product (Greenshield, OxiDate etc.). Sanitize equipment, at a minimum, between each plant.
Avoid pruning on a rainy, wet day, which might spread the disease."

Font: www.tnstate.edu/extension/documents/Juniper_Tip_Blights.pdf

Juniper Tip Blight 5 years 9 months ago #40737

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
In Switzerland we have Gesal Folicur, but you can get this Bayer one in UK:
www.amazon.co.uk/Bayer-Folicur-Rose-Fungicide-70/dp/B0036BSGTC

Juniper Tip Blight 5 years 9 months ago #40738

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
Oups sorry, I didnt re-read, just the UK part. Here is Bayer Canada with folicur:

www.cropscience.bayer.ca/products/fungicides/folicur-ew

• Page: