• Page:

TOPIC:

Bacterial Infection? - Juniper- 5 years 2 months ago #47203

• Bunsen33
  • Bunsen33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
Have you ever diagnosed a tree's ailment as a bacterial infection? What can be done to remedy it?

Backstory:
I work in crop protection research and development. During a recent training the symptoms of bacterial infections of plants was discussed and all I could think was, "Good gravy! This is what's wrong with my Juniper!" I've had this tree for about 4yrs (my first, repotted and wired it in a class at a respected bonsai studio). Within a few months of bringing it home a green slime developed on the trunk, even though there was no algae or moss on the substrate. The foliage also started to yellow, but it seemed to be isolated to very specific places and they didn't really die out completely. Occasionally I would apply rubbing alcohol with a cotton swab to the trunk and the slime situation would improve for a few days. The second spring-summer the slime persisted but there was little to no effect in the foliage. The third spring-summer the yellowing foliage was back. Otherwise the plant has been healthy, grown well, and even survived 2d in a trailer with 150+ other plants we couldn't live without when we moved from the East Coast (US) to the Midwest last summer.
(I'd post a picture, but it's been snowing and raining for weeks and there's a mud pit between the patio and the overwintering shelter...and I'm on my lunch break at work)

Some real basic info on the symptoms of bacterial and viral infections of plants (versus fungal pressure) from Michigan State University:
www.canr.msu.edu/news/signs_and_symptoms...l_viral_or_bacterial

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: