Bonsai forum

Can someone help diagnose my Bonsai?

• Evan
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Can someone help diagnose my Bonsai? was created by Evan

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47563
Hello,
My Ficus Bonsai has been on the downward spiral since November now, when I gave it a prune. I began to notice it loosing more leaves than usual and no new growth developing, usually the prune would bring on lots of new growth, even at that time of year. I tried feeding it, watering it less, watering it more, checking for pests, checking the roots, but I couldn't, and still cant seem to find the issue. I knew it was in dire need of a re-pot, but wanted to wait till a better time of year. However, I have now re-potted it and it is still showing signs that it is sick, loosing further leaves and all the new buds back from November have not opened and are are getting black tips. Any help would be much appreciated, I am a bit of a loss. The tree is 16 years old so I really dont want to loose it. Thanks in advance.
by Evan

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Can someone help diagnose my Bonsai?

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47574
for now.. Stop messing with it. Plants can take weeks befor visibly responding.

How do you water it, when do you water it. Is this an heated room? Does it get sunlight?
by leatherback

• justin.g

Replied by justin.g on topic Can someone help diagnose my Bonsai?

Posted 5 years 1 month ago #47578
Are you in the Northern Hemisphere ? Is it a Tiger Bark Fig ?
by justin.g

• mary overton

Replied by mary overton on topic Can someone help diagnose my Bonsai?

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48541
It looks like you have rust on the leaves. I am not sure where you are but only water when dry do not feed. and if you have a product like white oil wipe it on the leaves to starve the rust. both sides. if you are in an area where there is no frost. Put outside in a warm spot where it can get some sun
by mary overton

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Can someone help diagnose my Bonsai?

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48542

mary overton wrote: It looks like you have rust on the leaves. I am not sure where you are but only water when dry do not feed. and if you have a product like white oil wipe it on the leaves to starve the rust. both sides. if you are in an area where there is no frost. Put outside in a warm spot where it can get some sun

Hi Mary and welcome to the forum.
This thread is 5 weeks old, ad the original poster has not been seen on this thread since the first post on the forum, I am afaid.

As for whiping oil.. My experience is that fig drop their leaves if one uses an oil-based product. Do you have different experience?
by leatherback

• mary overton

Replied by mary overton on topic Can someone help diagnose my Bonsai?

Posted 5 years 1 week ago #48543
I have numerous figs and for shows we also wipe them over with baby oil to clean and make the leaves glossy. white oil does not harm any leaf as long as it is not in full sun. then it will burn. by the way I am in australia in a zone that is fairly similar to the south of england.
by mary overton