Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Arakawa / Cork Bark Maple Problem 4 years 8 months ago #51682

• seeparks
  • seeparks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 9
Hi All,

I’m concerned with an Arakawa / Cork Bark Maple that I have. When I purchased it, a large portion of the bark on the front of the trunk had already separated from the tree and fell off. The wood underneath is a dark colour and a bit slimy if it gets wet. Since buying it, I’ve cleaned it as much as I could with a paper towel and avoid getting the affected area wet when watering. I’m hoping this area will either heal or dry up and become a Shari.

I would like to obtain opinions if this is some sort of disease or pest related issue. Prior to purchasing, I looked around for pests and didn’t see any obvious signs of insects or bugs. Since the bark had already fallen off and, besides that, the tree overall seemed healthy, I decided to take a chance on it.

I’m hoping someone can provide some insight as to what could’ve happened to it and how I should treat it moving forward.

If the wood is already dead, I’m hoping this can be some sort of Shari that can add character to the tree. Is there anything specific I should be doing to help the tree deal with this?

I’ve attaches some pictures for reference.

Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Arakawa / Cork Bark Maple Problem 4 years 8 months ago #51685

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86
Nice tree. Arakawa is on my to buy list.

It's normal that the bark on old maples sometimes separate from the tree. I can't tell you why, but it's normal. I would't do anything. Let the nature do the work.

Last edit: Post by Hansen.

Arakawa / Cork Bark Maple Problem 4 years 8 months ago #51697

• seeparks

It's normal that the bark on old maples sometimes separate from the tree. I can't tell you why, but it's normal. I would't do anything. Let the nature do the work.

Do maple trees typically produce new bark in these types of situations or will this result in a Shari later assuming the tree survives?

Also, since the exposed wood is dark, does this mean it’s dead? For now I’ll keep the trunk dry and hope for the best unless someone suggests otherwise :).

I’m guessing there’s really not much one can do to help a tree recover besides watering it properly. Should I still be fertilizing it normally as well?

Last edit: Post by seeparks.

Arakawa / Cork Bark Maple Problem 4 years 8 months ago #51738

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Sorr, but I disagree.
The section without bark has died. Only over a very long time may this perhaps get covered again, but chances are slimm. The only way to get a decent tree out of this for the future would be to air layer well above the dead section.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk

Arakawa / Cork Bark Maple Problem 4 years 8 months ago #51754

• seeparks

Sorr, but I disagree.
The section without bark has died. Only over a very long time may this perhaps get covered again, but chances are slimm. The only way to get a decent tree out of this for the future would be to air layer well above the dead section.

Hey LB, in your opinion, do you believe the tree can survive as is? I was thinking if yes, the dead part can become a feature of the tree as a Shari. I think it could add character to the tree if it lightens up in colour.

What I’m afraid of is it rotting and I end up losing the entire tree. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

Last edit: Post by seeparks.

Arakawa / Cork Bark Maple Problem 4 years 8 months ago #51755

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

What I’m afraid of is it rotting and I may end up losing the entire tree. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

As suggested, air layer it above the rotting trunk.
I would wait for a while, to see if it progresses both ways (more deadwood, or more live tissue covering the deadwood).
Perhaps using a wood hardener on the exposed trunk...

Arakawa / Cork Bark Maple Problem 4 years 8 months ago #51758

• Hansen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 86

Sorr, but I disagree.

I disagree. Look in the nature, maples loses the bark. It's normal.

Seeparks what you do is carving the trunk. See picture.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Hansen.
  • Page: