Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Maple seedling - leaf discoloration 4 years 8 months ago #51998

• mardrdr
  • mardrdr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I harvested a 2-leaf stage new seedling this summer from under a Bloodgood JM: appears to be Acer palmatum, or Acer palmatum ‘Atropurpurpeum’ seedling. Managed reasonably well in the wet/hot St Louis summer, but I just noted yellowing patches on some leaves (one possible cause is morning sprinkler exposure which I stopped) - - took a photo and higher magnification shows minute black spots - suspect fungal, potentially early lesions of Anthracnose, Phyllosticta, or Tar Spot - will see what develops. I know Neem oil may injure maples and this is a young unhardened seedling, but opted to spray with dilute Neem concentrate 1Tbsp per gallon and keep in shade away from sprinklers. Any ideas re the cause - am I on the right track? Neem seems a general coverage if the seedling will tolerate - I may consider change to pyrethrin/sulfur spray or a copper fungicide spray if Neem adversely affects the leaves in the days ahead or if the involved leaves worsen. Just attempting the challenge of raising a maple bonsai from natural seedling harvest. Should I remove involved leaves, the upper, newer leaves have no lesions yet - no debris on the soil surface

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by mardrdr.

Maple seedling - leaf discoloration 4 years 8 months ago #52000

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Why is it in a bonsai pot?

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Maple seedling - leaf discoloration 4 years 8 months ago #52002

• mardrdr
just to start it and had pot available when the seedling was at the 2 leaf stage - testing to see if I could I guess; read it was possible to maintain but would extend time frame to a potted tree, or bonsai; point taken - likely added to the stress on the seedling and delayed growth development; recognize not best, planned to transplant out or see what would develop, so I learned...
also, reading web, checking photos - recognized this is not a palmatum; lesson also learned not to assume outdoor harvest near a variety equals same variety
haven't worked with small trees in years- learned a lot on this one
does appear fungal to me

Maple seedling - leaf discoloration 4 years 8 months ago #52016

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

n this one
does appear fungal to me

I didn't know so I Googled for images of leaves with yellow spots with black dots.
This looks idential, and indeed, it's tar spot.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, mardrdr

Maple seedling - leaf discoloration 4 years 8 months ago #52020

• mardrdr
yes, looks like it - have to say, making a foray back into bonsai, small tree the learning curve is steep
Thanks

• Page: