Bonsai forum

Root rot? (Podocarpus macrophyllus)

• Bragaluf
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Root rot? (Podocarpus macrophyllus) was created by Bragaluf

Posted 4 years 8 months ago #52011
Hi!
My buddhist pine has been struggling for a while now, and judging by the rapid drying out of its leaves/needles I'm guessing it's beyond saving now. I've been watering and misting everyday, keeping it from the strongest sunlight. When I received the tree I noticed som small bumps on the roots and that some of them where really soft and weak. The thought of some disease crossed my mind but being a beginner i cut of the worst roots and changed part of it's soil for an airier mix, since it felt very moist after the shipping and I was afraid it was damaged by too much water.
It never did as well as it's companion trees here at home and always felt somehow stunted, although I'm a complete beginner and I read they grow slower so i blamed it on that. In retrospect I think it might have been doomed from the beginning. What do you guys think? You can see the bumps on the pictures and the roots feel really soggy and weak.
Very grateful for any opinions, cheers! :)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by Bragaluf

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Root rot? (Podocarpus macrophyllus)

Posted 4 years 8 months ago #52014
The lesson to learn here is to FIRST ask/research, and then do.

Bumps on the root of podocarus is normal. They have symbiosis with bacteria that bind nitrogen.
Repotting is very rarely needed when a tree is unhealthy; Most plant hate to have their roots fiddled with.

Give it dappled shade, and even moist soild protect from dry winds and wait.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bragaluf

• Bragaluf
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Bragaluf on topic Root rot? (Podocarpus macrophyllus)

Posted 4 years 8 months ago #52028
Thanks for your reply leatherback! I googled for root bumps like crazy but came up with nothing related, good to know! :silly:
It seems the tree has huge difficulties transferring water from the soil to the leaves. The leaves dry out but the soil keeps more moist than normal i think. Is this a sign of the worst? I recently brought my trees with me on a trip and had some really hot days. The ficus seemed affected by it as well but quickly returned to normal once I got home.
by Bragaluf