Bonsai forum

Pomegranate leaves are curling and have tiny brown spots. Why?

• bo.vavrik
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Pomegranate leaves are curling and have tiny brown spots. Why? was created by bo.vavrik

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53073
Hi,

I have an issue with my dwarf pomegranate bonsai. A while ago its leaves started curling and tiny brown spots are sparsely appearing on some of them, but mostly just on the tips (see photos).

The tree was recently attacked by fungus gnats, which I resolved by putting very fine sand on top of the soil to prevent the gnats from laying eggs. Additionally, I am spraying the tree weekly with solution of neem oil, dish soap and water and in consequence the gnats seem to disappear.

I thought the neem oil would get rid of any other potential pests, so my question is what is wrong with my bonsai and what can I do about it? Except for the two problems the tree looks rather healthy (see photos).

I'll be glad for any advice :)
Last Edit:4 years 6 months ago by bo.vavrik

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by bo.vavrik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Pomegranate leaves are curling and have tiny brown spots. Why?

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53075
Apart from the fact that you have it inside, I can't see much wrong. Gnats do no harm, but it suggests that the soil might be too damp. Neem oil will get rid of sap sucking insects, but it is not an instant fix, takes time.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: bo.vavrik

• bo.vavrik
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by bo.vavrik on topic Pomegranate leaves are curling and have tiny brown spots. Why?

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53076
I see. I've read that ideally pomegranates should be placed outdoors, but in my case it is unfortunately not feasible.

So you find the curled leaves (particularly visible in the second picture) normal?
by bo.vavrik

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Pomegranate leaves are curling and have tiny brown spots. Why?

Posted 4 years 6 months ago #53077
The curled leaves are probably the result of continuously spraying with oil. You effectively stop the tree from breathing through their leaves. oil is bad for many plants. Add to that that it will not help your plant when you do not have any insects on it..
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: bo.vavrik