Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bugs and Bad Soil 4 years 1 month ago #57046

• rootybonsai
  • rootybonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

I have two possibly related issues with my Fukien Tea Tree. The first issue is that every week or two, the soil of the tree starts to turn white. I believe it's some sort of fungus, because it goes away when I spray it with copper fungicide. It's doesn't go away when watered.

The second issue is that I've found 2 worm-like bugs in the soil. The first one emerged while I was watering the tree and the second when I was applying the fungicide. I don't know if these are bad signs and I don't know if they're related to the white residue, but I'm not sure how to remedy this. Should I move the tree into another pot and get new soil? I'd like to alleviate both of these problems. Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bugs and Bad Soil 4 years 1 month ago #57048

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
The white stuff are salts that show when the surface starts to dry. It is a result of watering with with mineral rich water.
Do not spray soil with cupper or any other fungicides. Plants live together with fungi in the soil and they are needed for health.

Earthworms are normal in soil.

Bugs and Bad Soil 4 years 1 month ago #57050

• rootybonsai
  • rootybonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for the reply. Based on the pictures, do those look like earthworms or harmful pests?

• Page: