Bonsai forum

Ficus with small black flying insects on trunk, soil and around tree!

• Hpostinger
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Ficus with small black flying insects on trunk, soil and around tree! was created by Hpostinger

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58540
Hello I have a ficus bonsai and have been battling these small black flying insects that are on and flying around it for a while. I have it on my balcony so it means once I open the window normally some get into the house too so its becoming quite a problem. Unfortunately I can't purchase insecticide as we are on lockdown and the shops that sell it are closed. I have tried spraying RAID house insecticide around it but its not helping much. Its a small bonsai but seems quite healthy as it has new green leaves sprouting, would I be able to repot it as an emergency? I'm just worried I may damage it.
Last Edit:3 years 11 months ago by Hpostinger
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Hpostinger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Ficus with small black flying insects on trunk, soil and around tree!

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58541
You have fungus gnats a sign of poor organics and too wet substrate. Keep it drier. Do not repot.
by leatherback

• Hpostinger
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Hpostinger on topic Ficus with small black flying insects on trunk, soil and around tree!

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58542
Thank you for your reply! What would be the best option to get rid of the insects and larvae completely and prevent more from hatching in the soil? Could you suggest how often I should water it? I probably have been over watering as I usually water every other day/every two days.
Last Edit:3 years 11 months ago by Hpostinger
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Hpostinger.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Ficus with small black flying insects on trunk, soil and around tree!

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58544
Top of the substrate needs to get dry before you water again, without letting the pot go bonedry.
by leatherback

• Hpostinger
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Hpostinger on topic Ficus with small black flying insects on trunk, soil and around tree!

Posted 3 years 11 months ago #58545
Thank you so much for your help!
by Hpostinger