Elm leaves yellowing with black spots

• Ivan Mann
  • Away Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Elm leaves yellowing with black spots was created by Ivan Mann

Posted 3 years 9 months ago #61054
I went out of town for a week. When I left the elm forest was happy as could be. We got back last night and amost of the old leaves ha turned yellow, some with pretty big black spots, and a lot had fallen off. The problem is not under watering. It may have rained a lot before the kid who waters came by so maybe too much water (The yew has mushrooms growing in its bark). The other elms grown from the same batch of seeds are doing fine. One has one leaf that may look like this.

Fungus? Bugs? Neem oil? Something else?
by Ivan Mann

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Elm leaves yellowing with black spots

Posted 3 years 9 months ago #61064
It could be water, but that would be fast. You sure someone has not sprayed it with something?
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

• Ivan Mann
  • Away Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Elm leaves yellowing with black spots

Posted 3 years 9 months ago #61067
I can't remember exactly what the substrate is, but it should be half akadama, quarter lava, quarter pumice, and some coffee grounds, about half as much as lava rock. Yes, I know that adds up to more than one. Water seems to drain through adequately. Usually. I water sort of early, but I think he came over late afternoon so maybe there was some stress there. Every other tree is doing fine, so I know he watered.
In Atlanta there was a lot of rain, some would guess there was a lot here, too. There is a lot of new growth so I could just water it adequately and move it out of the sun, but if there is a fungus or bug issue I would like to get it now.
by Ivan Mann

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Elm leaves yellowing with black spots

Posted 3 years 9 months ago #61078
Dunno :(
by leatherback

• Ivan Mann
  • Away Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Elm leaves yellowing with black spots

Posted 3 years 9 months ago #61266
I looked at a couple of online sites and every place hinted strongly at root rot. So, I waited until it stopped raining, pulled the whole mass out of the pot gently and water poured out of the root ball, which had grown to fit the pot. The pot is a large oval shape and only had holes at four places close to the edge. There was water standing in the center. Since I don't have anything to put the pot in, and since the root ball had grown out to the edge, I got the drill, drilled two large holes in the center bottom, put a layer of pumice in the bottom, and put the root ball back in the pot, after draining a lot of water out. The weather man predicts I won't have much direct sun for several days, so I think I have done enough for now. Next week I will put some biogold on it.
by Ivan Mann