Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Unhealthy 8yr Chinese Elm 3 years 8 months ago #62243

• Circra
  • Circra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

Bought a Chinese Elm for my other half a year and a bit ago. We had no problems really until this summer.

The roots were pruned as per reccomendations but in June it lost all its leaves to what we think could have been aphids.

We looked about and saw the best course would be anti aphid spray and generally keeping the plant healthy. It recovered but got hit by aphids again as soon as we stopped regular spraying.

It seems to be recovering now and we are regularly spraying it still (Resolva bug and mildew). While it does have leaves and new leaves, it's not looking very healthy. A bit straggly with some deformed and yellow leaves.

I am hoping far more experienced bonsai growers might have an idea. I am attaching some pictures and thanks in advance.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unhealthy 8yr Chinese Elm 3 years 8 months ago #62246

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
It is not looking at all good. Why are you spraying with insecticide? Can you see them? What do you mean by regular? How often are you doing this spraying? The main problem is you have had it inside the house. You can see this from the state of the growths due to lack of light. The soil looks awful too. If you must spray then use soapy water not chemicals. You also need to prune the long growths right back and once outside it will grow back with shorter internodes. I would suggest that you buy a book to find out how to look after a Chinese Elm, and not rely on what you have seen on Youtube.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Unhealthy 8yr Chinese Elm 3 years 8 months ago #62267

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
The only problem is that Its inside. It will recover once it's outside. Shade first- water when needed- don't fiddle with it

Unhealthy 8yr Chinese Elm 3 years 8 months ago #62269

• Aivar1988
  • Thanks received: 11

• Page: