Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

good worm or bad worm? 3 years 7 months ago #62752

• shimpakunut
  • shimpakunut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
hi there, found some white worms in my soil today - any idea if these are harmful?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

good worm or bad worm? 3 years 7 months ago #62757

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
these are fly larea. They live in your fertilizer most likely. They are hamfull to the extend that birds love them and will drop by to look for them. This results in little holes dug in your pot.

If you come to my garden today, you can fill a bucket with substrate that the birds have tossed out of my pots. For the shalower pots with better developed trees in them I make small nets that lay on top of the pots and the birds can't dig anymore.

The larvea itself are not really a concern.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann, shimpakunut

good worm or bad worm? 3 years 7 months ago #62764

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

these are fly larea. They live in your fertilizer most likely. They are hamfull to the extend that birds love them and will drop by to look for them. This results in little holes dug in your pot.

If you come to my garden today, you can fill a bucket with substrate that the birds have tossed out of my pots. For the shalower pots with better developed trees in them I make small nets that lay on top of the pots and the birds can't dig anymore.

The larvea itself are not really a concern.

Well, that explains it! I have had the holes dug and thought it was squirrels. I could not figure out why all my squirrel prevention didn't stop it.

Since I switched from garden dirt to the standard mix it has stopped. Now I know why.

• Page: