Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Dwarf Jade Bonsai Dropping leaves and spotting on leaves 3 years 4 months ago #63733

• mmcquade
  • mmcquade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
New Bonsai owner. I have my bonsai in a southern facing window, in a room that is 60+ degrees. The tree is at least 18 inches away from the window. I have had small fruit flies, flying around my tree/room. The leaves also had a slight white coating on the leaves, which could have been due to misting the leaves with water to keep the humidity up. The tree is also dropping trees. I sprayed the tree using an insecticide two times, once last week and once this week. After spraying, I noticed the leaves were getting yellowish spots in the leaves. (See pictures attached, first picture is the white on the leaves, second is the yellow ish spots)

Is there anything I can do to help this or prevent this from happening? Or is my bonsai sick?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dwarf Jade Bonsai Dropping leaves and spotting on leaves 3 years 4 months ago #63734

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
I cannot see the picture. But some general comments:

Never spray the leaves of jades.

Never treat a plant before you know what is causing the problem.

Jades are desert plants and can easily be overwatered, especially in the winter. Too much water makes leaves yellow and falling.

Dwarf Jade Bonsai Dropping leaves and spotting on leaves 3 years 4 months ago #63735

• mmcquade
  • mmcquade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Understood. Is there anything I can do to remedy the issue? Or do I just need to let this run it’s course?

Dwarf Jade Bonsai Dropping leaves and spotting on leaves 3 years 4 months ago #63741

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
As i wrote, I havent seen the picture.

But stop spraying the tree. And dont treat it för pests unless you know there are an issue.

If it is overwatered, leave it to dry completely. If you are in the northern hemisphere. It is so in to be winter. 5-10 degrees Celsius and bone dry until spring is the best care. But it needs to be dry before lowering temperature.

Dwarf Jade Bonsai Dropping leaves and spotting on leaves 3 years 4 months ago #63750

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
It is in a warm room, so it will need some water every once in a while. But this is a plant that is easily overwatered. THe little flies are not fruit flies, but fungus gnats, I would bet. They are drawn by decaying organic matter, and their larvea live of that. They are a clear sign of continuously wet conditions.

Let is dry out more. If you can, give it loads of (sun) light. No spraying. No humidity trays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Dwarf Jade Bonsai Dropping leaves and spotting on leaves 3 years 4 months ago #63752

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes, in warm room I water my jades small amounts every 2-3 weeks during winter. They are in south facing window in mostly organic soil. But they will not flower kept like this.

• Page: