Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New Owner needing advice, white spots on trunk and soil 3 years 4 months ago #64249

• Ceebonsai
  • Ceebonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi everyone, new member here to the forum and concerned about my new juniper I have had for about 3 weeks now (see attached pictures). I noticed some white spots growing on the base of the trunk and on the soil. Wondering if it is fungal growth and how to address it. I have been checking the soil daily and thought I was doing well with watering but perhaps I am overwatering? I’m not sure. Love the little guy and don’t want to lose him so quickly :) . Also— he’s been outdoors when I’ve had the chance but I did buy LED growth lights which stay on for 9 hours a day. Thanks for any and all advice and tips/guidance.

Also, I apologize if the images are rotated, I’m not sure why it was doing that after uploading.

Best,
Cee

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VioletMoon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Ceebonsai. Reason: Adjusted images

New Owner needing advice, white spots on trunk and soil 3 years 4 months ago #64253

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
... your plant is outdoors when you had the chance?.... are you taking it outdoors on a walk or how must I understand this?
It is a juniper and must be always outside, inside it will die, period.
You can forget about the grow lights,just place it outdoors, water when soil feels dry with a garden hose or a watering can untill water spills from the hole underneath. Give it plenty of sunshine and it will do just fine

New Owner needing advice, white spots on trunk and soil 3 years 4 months ago #64258

• Ceebonsai
  • Ceebonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
I put it under the sun outside the house on sunny days. I will leave it out there longer. Should I not worry about the white growth? That was my main concern.

New Owner needing advice, white spots on trunk and soil 3 years 4 months ago #64259

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Your main concern should be the health of the tree, which means you leave it always outside, in full sun. Water thoroughly with a watering can or garden hose from above untill water spills from underneath. Do not move your plant all the time, they really dislike that ( I have never seen a plant or tree move due to bad weather....).
The white deposit is nothing to worry about, it will probably go away once you have watered it thoroughly a few times. Keeping it inside is what causes a lot of problems.

New Owner needing advice, white spots on trunk and soil 3 years 2 months ago #65444

• Pat loves green
  • Thanks received: 0
Our tree was looking like his with white spot on trunk. We put it outside for several weeks and now it has another white spot and the leaves have lost their green and are turning lighter . Any suggestion?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

New Owner needing advice, white spots on trunk and soil 3 years 2 months ago #65445

• Pat loves green
  • Thanks received: 0
We brought it inside because it was going to freeze last night.

New Owner needing advice, white spots on trunk and soil 3 years 2 months ago #65448

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It is winter, junipers do discolour , but it could also be that it’s dying because of the time spent inside.
Do not bring trees inside because it freezes a bit , they can’t stand the temperature changes.
Place it outside and leave it there. In spring if it doesn’t bounces back to fresh green it’s dead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pat loves green

• Page: