Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Portulacaria Afra issues 3 years 3 months ago #64306

• Isa
  • Isa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 4
Hi, looking for some help.

Recently bought a Portulacaria Afra it's having some issues. Bought it about a month ago

I realised when it arrived that it had mealybugs on it so gave it a wash with some water and then sprayed it with some bug spray. That got rid of them but I soon noticed a lot of leaves dropping. I'd been very careful not to overwater but had read root rot was common so went to check that by taking it out of its pot, on taking the plant out of the pot the roots all looked healthy but spotted mealybugs in the roots. Removed all the soil, gave them a proper rinse and clean out by hand, let it dry for a day or so and once sure it was completely dry repotted it in a fast draining soil.

The leaves that have been dropping started going yellow and wrinkly, but more recently seem to be going black at the tips initially, then about half the leaf going black before falling. As I said, I've checked the roots and they don't seem to be rotting.

It might just be a reaction to the change of location from where I bought it to now inside my house but wouldn't expect leaves to go black if that were the case?

For reference, I live in UK where it will start freezing at night soon so can't be outside. It's in a cool room (about 15 degrees C), on a south facing window, radiator never on, humidity tray underneath. Watering it c. every 2 weeks when I can tell that it's bone dry.

Anyone got any ideas? It's my first PA and don't want to lose it!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Portulacaria Afra issues 3 years 3 months ago #64307

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
Get rid of the humidity tray. Jade plants needs dry air in winter.

Portulacaria Afra issues 3 years 3 months ago #64314

• OlyWAGerry
  • Thanks received: 0
Try a grow light. Northern hemisphere locations may not provide adequate light in the winter months. This worked for my plant that showed similar problems. I run a light on a 12 hour cycle. It's a healthy plant now. Cheers!

• Page: