Bonsai forum

Brown-ish spots underneath leaves + asymmetry

• andrei.np
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Brown-ish spots underneath leaves + asymmetry was created by andrei.np

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #66049
Hey everyone,

So I just bought a ficus ginseng a couple of days ago. I have been eyeing them since forever, but kept putting off buying one because of a prior experience with a bonsai (that eventually died in my care).

I'm a newbie to plants and since I was excited, I didn't quite inspect the plant thoroughly.

I realized today that some of the leaves looked "off" and saw some patterns.

Some of the leaves have brown spots underneath, rarely visible on the top side of the leaves. Usually towards the tip and the sides.
Some other (less than with spots) have a strange asymmetry in growth, and they get tilted to the side.
I've also attached some photos.

Do I have anything to worry about here, or is it just the worry I have associated with bonsais? :oops:
by andrei.np

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132

Replied by Rorror on topic Brown-ish spots underneath leaves + asymmetry

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #66054
Don't know about the spots. Did you perhaps use insectal soap? That can damage cells in the leaves.

The misshape of the leaves is due to inregular watering. As it grows with water, and stalls growing when low or out of water. This makes the leave shape deformed when it starts growing again.

Perhaps post a picture of pot and soil too.
In winter every two weeks half a dose of firtilizer. In spring/summer full dose every two weeks.
Watering should be done every few days. (Depending on the soil). I water my ficuses every 3 days. I let them soak inside the sink. All parts of the pot should get water. Not just a little bit on top. When watering, use lots of water, and make sure it poors out of al holes.
Last Edit:3 years 2 months ago by Rorror
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Rorror.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1359

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Brown-ish spots underneath leaves + asymmetry

Posted 3 years 2 months ago #66057
If you are in the northern hemisphere it is quite normal that ficus loose old leaves by now. A few black spots is telling you that this tree is ready to shed its leaves. Under some conditions it is common to loose as much as 2/3rds of the leaves.
by Tropfrog