Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Acer Palmatum danger 2 years 11 months ago #67209

• ToneCartone
  • ToneCartone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for those who will try to share their knowledge and help me.

I’m facing some problems with my Acer Palmatum (sold as an AP seigen aureum): as you can see in the attachment below, the leaves are starting to get brownish, it seems like they’re slowly dying off.
I’ll give you a bit of context: the tree has been repotted with new soil on the 1st of March this year and since I live in the north of Italy it has been brought inside at night for the first two weeks, and during that period it never got direct sunlight. When the temperatures went up above freezing I started leaving the tree out at night too (we’re now averaging somewhat around +7-8ºC at night and +20°C during the day), when I noticed the first leaves popping out of the buds I started fertilising, using a diluted 3-6-6 compo once per week. At first the leaves looked perfectly fine, but now you can see they don’t look much healthy, I thought that maybe the problem was that the tree is now under direct sunlight from dawn to sunset and I moved it into a place where it only gets sun before midday to avoid sunburns on the leaves.

Are these the causes & solution or do I have to worry about pests and other diseases?
Thank you again,
Andrea

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Acer Palmatum danger 2 years 11 months ago #67218

• Ricky73
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 49
Hi,
I believe it could be due to fertilizing a bit too early after repotting (if you also pruned the roots).
It's quite sunny and unusually hot now in Northern Italy (I live in Milano), so your tree might also be suffering already our awful late spring and summer climate..

Every summer I also have lots of problems with my maples' leaves: they become sun-scorched, tend to be more prone to fungal diseases, and get brown...
And eventually, the tree sacrifies its leaves for self-protection (so one cannot enjoy their vibrant autumn color...).

However, my tree wonderfully gets back to life every following spring since years.

As I only have a balcony, I try every year to find the best position during the hot and sunny season.

Definitely they need to be as shaded as possible in our summer weather.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ToneCartone

Acer Palmatum danger 2 years 11 months ago #67221

• ToneCartone
  • ToneCartone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Grazie! That was very insightful, and I did prune the roots indeed.
I'll pay more attention with the fertilizer and I'll move the tree in a shady area right now!
Enjoy the rest of your day,
Andres

• Page: