Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Need Help with Chinese Elm Prebonsai 2 years 11 months ago #67493

• kashikyo
  • kashikyo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

I recently got a Chinese elm pre bonsai that I ordered online (came from Florida, I am in Austin, TX). It arrived April 6th and I repotted it immediately. It had a couple leaves that looked like they were chewed and I thought it was just from the previous owner so I just removed them and let it be. The next day there were a couple brown spots which I figured were from the stress of travel and repotting (root trimming, new soil ect.), I looked it over for any bugs just in case and saw nothing. Today it had more brown spots and a few leaves looked like they were chewed. It also hasn't really absorbed the water from when I first repotted a few days ago so something is definitely wrong. Please help!

Pot is a little large cause I want the trunk to thicken, and the nebari to form. I live in an apartment so I don't have ground to put it in. This is my first Bonsai so any suggestions are welcome!!

Soil: www.easternleaf.com/Akadama-Lava-Pumice-...-Mix-p/124930-01.htm

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need Help with Chinese Elm Prebonsai 2 years 11 months ago #67497

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Normally it is not advicable to repot a newly purshased tree. Better to let them recover from transit and get used to the new environment first.

With that said, I dont see any issue with that cutting at the moment. Chinese elm is strong plants that can take a lot. Just give it good care and there is a good chanse of survival.

Need Help with Chinese Elm Prebonsai 2 years 11 months ago #67499

• kashikyo
  • kashikyo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Okay, should I trim the browning leaves? I don't want to stress it out too much.

Need Help with Chinese Elm Prebonsai 2 years 11 months ago #67503

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
If you are in the northern hemisphere.....Go ahead and prune unsightly leaves. New will emerge soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

• Page: