Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Acer Palmatum - Spots on Leaves 2 years 11 months ago #67781

• BirdOfPrey
  • BirdOfPrey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

i hope you're able to helb me. I've recently purchased my first bonsai tree. It had already completely developed its leaves because it was in a greenhouse - as the seller told me.

I've placed it in my garden in an east / south facing direction hence it got the full morning sun until roughly 12 o´clock when the sun was blocked by my house. It is a rather windy space here where I've already experienced some issues with another acer palmatum planted in the garden. Temperatures are averaging around 10-15 °C during the day and around 0-5 °C in the night (althoug we've had one night with -3°C the day before yesterday.

Yesterday evening the leaves were all perfectly green. When I checked the tree again a few minutes ago I found all "surface" leaves to be wrinkled, kind of transparent, browning, and having some spots on them. By having a closer look these spots kind of seem to be the remnants of the previously strong green leaves.
Checking the leaves below the outmost layer of leaves they still are lush green and strong. (see attached pictures)

So, what do you think is the reason for leaves being damaged? Is it the wind and / or the temperatures or some kind of disease?
What should I do / have to do with the damaged leaves?

Any advice you could provide would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Acer Palmatum - Spots on Leaves 2 years 11 months ago #67782

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Sounds like the effect of frost damage. I would not worry about it for now. Keep an eye on the tree. In 2-3 weeks you should see new buds pushing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: