Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

White spots on leaves 2 years 11 months ago #68064

• JoHana
  • JoHana's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everyone! I have my first ficus ginseng that has these white spots on all the leaves for a few months now and can‘t figure out what it is so that I can treat it. I used already some pesticide and fungicide but nothing changed. Also, lately it hasn’t grown any new leaves from the main branches, just growing from the part above the trunk, sacrifice branches. I think it has slowed it’s growing and that the tree might be sick :(. Anyone that knows what the problem could be? What those white spots are? (Note: they can’t be removed, but more likely part of the leaves. You can see in one of the pictures the back side of the leaf is clean. Anyone that can help? Thanks so much.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

White spots on leaves 2 years 11 months ago #68075

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Hello and welcome.
Well, a ginseng isn’t considered a bonsai really- than it being labelled bonsai for selling purposes. It is the branches of one type of ficus grafted on the roots of another type, which makes it almost impossible to turn it into something that looks like a real tree.
So, for your question: i think you might find more usefull info in a general houseplant forum.
If you are interested in bonsai however, this forum is a good place to start , but I would stay far away from so-called indoor bonsai, which do not exist. There is not one tree in the entire world that lives naturally indoors, so buy yourself a nice start plant native to your region and place it outside where it will thrive and you can enjoy it

White spots on leaves 2 years 11 months ago #68077

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
The white dots on the leaves are normal. This is what they look like.

The branches from the main trunk probably are larger? This is the original rootstock. These fig are a merger of something that growth fast and a species with small leaves. If you want to keep the small leaves, you have to remove the large leave branches.

White spots on leaves 2 years 11 months ago #68078

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
In reference to what Luc is writing, take a look: www.growingbonsai.net/why-is-my-tree-not-a-bonsai/

White spots on leaves 2 years 11 months ago #68084

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Hard to see on the pictures. But I think the graft has died and only the rootstock still alive. In that case it would make no sense to cut back the large leaf branches completely.

• Page: