Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Help with small Juniper bonsai 2 years 9 months ago #69749

• isumelli
  • isumelli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi there, new to Bonsai and I have a small juniper that seems to have two of its four main branches getting brown and wilting. I live in Valdosta, Georgia USA and the tree sits in a covered patio that gets some direct sunlight in the morning then indirect sunlight all day. It's a very humid climate. We water it consistently the bottom drains well. I also apply Uncle Bill's Pesticide once a month and Uncle Bill's 3-3-3 liquid fertilizer every other week. I've diluted the fertilizer per the instructions in water. I did accidentally fertilize it 2 weeks in a row. I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. It seems odd that two of the branches look wilted by the other two look fine. Thanks in advance for the help!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with small Juniper bonsai 2 years 9 months ago #69750

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
I dont think it is odd that one part dies and another part lives. That is the natural behaviour of junipers in the forests around me. If you look online for really mature old juniper bonsais you will find that the deadwood left behing is a sought after feature. Even to the extent that we selectevly kill branches to make "jin", deadwood.

However I find it odd that it is showing it now. The dieoff happens in winter and show itself in early summer. I dont know your climate, but were I am in Western Sweden similar to usda zone 7 it is visible before end of may.

Also, on a such young tree it is not wanted and it is possible to avoid by good care and protecting the tree in winter.

Your dead branches will not recover. But with good care the branches remaining will live.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Help with small Juniper bonsai 2 years 9 months ago #69752

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
That is really odd. If individual branches die on young junipers normally it means some form of damage occurred. Have you wired the branches? Worked on the branches?

Individual branches do not "just die". For young plants like this, it is an all-or-nothing story unless some fysical damage occured.

• Page: