Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

could this be root rot, or fungus? (Ligustrum) 12 years 7 months ago #1816

• malaqias
  • malaqias's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I've just noticed that my ligustrum is showing some white "dust" on the roots and nebari. could this be some kind of root fungus or even root rot?
the tree is looking rather healthy with a lot of new growth but that white stuff wasn't there before.
i've attached some pics to show the roots and the tree.

thanks in advance for the help,
malaqias.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: could this be root rot, or fungus? (Ligustrum) 12 years 7 months ago #1822

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Hmm iv had that before too, i didnt know what it was, that tree died, it was a chinese elm. I dont think it was because of the white fungus type thing on it tho, it was because i was a beginner and fertilised it at wrong times etc. It could be anything tho, well done for observing it. Im sure someone will be able to help tell you whats wrong

Re: could this be root rot, or fungus? (Ligustrum) 12 years 7 months ago #1824

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Root rot is rotting of dead roots below the soil. Maybe it's build up of minerals from the water. I'm honestly not sure what it is.If it is a fungus, mix a capful or peroxide in a spray container and spray the tree every couple of days until it's gone. I battled a fungal infection on my pine this year. I finally got rid of it with this mixture.
Good luck.
Lance

Re: could this be root rot, or fungus? (Ligustrum) 12 years 7 months ago #1830

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Malaqias,

I agree with Pinkham...it could be mineral build up from the water. Do you know if your water is hard or soft? Well water is generally hard unless one has a water softener installed. City water that comes from a city water filtration system is generally soft. If you have hard water, an off-white scale can form on the soil's surface, on exposed roots and along the edges of the dish. It doesn't look pretty however, it won't harm your tree. Try wetting is to soften and wipe off.

If you think it may be a fungal infection here is a link that might help. Scroll down until you find the write up on Viruses & Fungus. www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/FirstAid.html

Here is another link from the Empire's site: www.bonsaiempire.com/care/pests-diseases

And one more link on the care of the Ligustrum species: www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ligustrum.html

Hope this helps. :)

Re: could this be root rot, or fungus? (Ligustrum) 12 years 7 months ago #1843

• malaqias
Thank you all for the helpful info!!

I'm hoping it is mineral build up form the water but the thing seems to grow upwards even when i don't water the tree. And its not showing on the soil, nor the edges of the pot, nor on the dish i have underneath it, only on the roots. Even when the water drops into the dish and ends up drying, there's no white markings. Wich makes me think it's some kind of fungus or disease.

On the other hand i've looked up a lot of websites and books over fungus and pests and i can't find anything that looks like this. Besides, the tree is thriving! i can see new growth on a daily basis.

its really confusing me.

Re: could this be root rot, or fungus? (Ligustrum) 12 years 7 months ago #1849

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi again,
You live in Portugal,it's warm there. It would be safe to re-pot your tree. Privets are pretty hardy, it will survive a re-pot. Wash all the old soil off the tree and cut the dead roots off. disinfect the pot. put it back in the pot with fresh bonsai soil.Put it in a shaded area outside and wait for new growth.When you see new growth you can fertilize it using at half strength. then you can start exposing it to direct sunlight, starting with morning sun . Afternoon sun would be too hot.
I hope this helps.
Lance

Re: could this be root rot, or fungus? (Ligustrum) 12 years 7 months ago #1863

• malaqias
could i just repot it again, even tho i repotted it roughly a month ago?
well, last time i just changed it to a bigger pot. didnt touch any roots at all.

Re: could this be root rot, or fungus? (Ligustrum) 12 years 7 months ago #1864

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Malaqias,
Can you give me a little info on the soil you used when you re-potted it?
If you don't want to risk another re-pot you could use the mixture of peroxide and water to get rid of the fungus.(one cap full of peroxide and 26 oz of water in a spray bottle.)
spray it on the affected area once a day for 3 weeks, then slowly increase the time in between applications. I used this on my pine and it was amazing.

Re: could this be root rot, or fungus? (Ligustrum) 12 years 7 months ago #1865

• malaqias
Good question.
I bought it at my local nursery as Bonsai Soil. no Idea what't the composition.
i'never had any problem with stuff i bought there so i think the soil should be good.
i'm probly gonna try that peroxide mix.

Re: could this be root rot, or fungus? (Ligustrum) 12 years 7 months ago #1866

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
privets are really tough trees. It'll be fine using that mixture. It's cheap and effective.
Good luck.

• Page: