Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Brazilian Rosewood - Is this a fungus, or mutation of some sort? 2 years 5 months ago #72976

• BentoSalesBoy
  • BentoSalesBoy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello All,

Time for another story. This is a Brazilian Rosewood, started by seed inside (I know), and then I gradually hardened it and got it used to outside during this past summer. It was doing well.

Then in early August, I added 9-3-6 Fertilizer. However, I didn't read that it needed to be 1 teaspoon of fertilizer to 1 gallon of water, so this little seedling received a much more concentrated dose. The 2-3 lower branches, that have brown tips to the leaves was the result. I didn't think there was such a thing as too much fertilizer (big mistake, also killed 4 other seedlings but different species).

So I watered it over and over again on the same day to try to rinse the soil of the heavily concentrated fertilizer. Then went back to watering it once the soil was dry. I moved it inside for the winter (northern hemisphere), as we are getting temps of lower 20 degrees F or -5 C. And from what I have researched, this tree doesn't like temps below 40 degrees F or 5 C. It was doing well, seemed to have recovered from the fertilizer, and has since had lots of new growth. 4 layers of new branches and a 5th currently sprouting.

However, just the other day, I noticed on the branches white waxy residue. Is this a fungus? Or some kind of mutation from the fertilizer mistake? Or is this something else? (I assumed it wasn't pollen, as the seedling hasn't produced flowers at all)

All advice appreciated.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brazilian Rosewood - Is this a fungus, or mutation of some sort? 2 years 5 months ago #72977

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
Hey Bento.
O cant see the pictures on Android.
Is it a Dalbergia Nigra or Jacaranda Mimosifolia?
It seems to be attached but not inserted...
Can you try to insert on the post?

Brazilian Rosewood - Is this a fungus, or mutation of some sort? 2 years 5 months ago #72978

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
Nevermind, I was able to see It... It's an Jacarandá Mimosifolia.
I've seen this case in other Jacarandas, never found the reason, some say it's Just something they do...
Some say it's from overwatering, It could be an sap formation where aphids bite...
But mostly is of no concern... Jacarandas are deciduous ir semidecisuous, so you can wait for late winter/early spring and remove the leaves...
The following user(s) said Thank You: BentoSalesBoy

• Page: