Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Carmona, Fukien tea, please help 2 years 4 months ago #73936

• JP32
  • JP32's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi, can anyone give any advice please for my dying leaves, I have included a photo, thanks

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carmona, Fukien tea, please help 2 years 4 months ago #73937

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
A few dead or dying leaves means nothing, it is normal for leaves to die and be replaced. This species is difficult at the best of times but a picture of the tree might help

Carmona, Fukien tea, please help 2 years 4 months ago #73939

• JP32
Here is a picture, these leaves turn yellow, brown and can have black dots, this is a common reoccurrence, I'm wondering whether this could be due to insects or fungal, I've been researching quite a bit but I can't figure it out.. The tree is still flowering and a lot of these leaves are a nice green.

This message has attachments images.

Carmona, Fukien tea, please help 2 years 4 months ago #73941

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Tree still looks healthy, but that can change fast when your heating system kicks in and dries up the air.

Carmona, Fukien tea, please help 2 years 4 months ago #73942

• JP32
Hi Tropfrog, so you would say those black leaves attached are normal and that I shouldn't spray it with an anti fungal or pest spray? I have checked humidity levels and I have 48-50% in that room, I have also just bought a grow light to give it extra light.

I have noticed tiny maggot like things in the soil which I'm worried about, but I shouldn't resoil until spring right?

This message has an attachment image.

Carmona, Fukien tea, please help 2 years 4 months ago #73943

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Looks unhappy to me. THe lower branches are getting so bare I wonder whether you can keep them.

Have you recently received this tree, or moved it into a new spot? I am thinking something with the roots, or the heater affecting your tree. Or both. How is it cares for?

Carmona, Fukien tea, please help 2 years 4 months ago #73944

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Black leafs normal.....Well, yes, judging from 100s of similar topics here on BE one might think it is normal. But I am sure that evergreen trees that shed a big portion of its leafs is not healthy, despite how normal it is :)

Rest assure that I have seen several topics on same problem with this species on this forum. They peak right about november to january. Right when light intensity decrease in the northern hemisphere. That is proboably one reason for this. This is also the time of the year we heat our houses and dry up the air, which is quite possible also a reason for the problems.

I would love to be proven wrong here, but I dont think it is possible to grow carmona indoors in northern hemisphere. I have a theory about how to make them florish. But will not reveal anything until proven right. For that I need to find a really cheap tree. Until I know my recomendation is not to buy carmona.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Carmona, Fukien tea, please help 2 years 4 months ago #73945

• JP32
Recently received yes but in pretty much the same condition as it is now. There is no heater near the tree. I'm Hoping my newly purchased grow light will help those lower branches. If its an issue with the roots I will have to wait until spring time to start digging I've heard..

Carmona, Fukien tea, please help 2 years 4 months ago #73946

• JP32
Yeah they're supposed to remain constantly green right. I can't wait to resoil because I feel like it might be in need of it and the tiny maggot things I have seen can't be good right?

I've probably read all the topics on this forum in regard to this species because I am determined to look after it it best I possibly can.. However I understand it can be hard to provide an answer and I am stuck with the only and probably best option, which is to observe the tree over time and gain my own knowledge of care based on how it's reacting but this will take time.. Light intensity has decreased yes so I am now providing a grow light to compliment the sun light.

Please I would really appreciate if you shared your theory with me on how to make them florish!

Carmona, Fukien tea, please help 2 years 4 months ago #73947

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132

tiny maggot things I have seen can't be good right?

Can you make a picture of that? Do you have little black fly's around the tree, perhaps funges gnats? If yes they are harmfull for the roots.

• Page: