Bonsai forum

Help needed with potential spider mites and leaves falling off

• i44y
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Help needed with potential spider mites and leaves falling off was created by i44y

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76372
Hi, I'm new to owning a bonsai tree, I have a small Chinese Elm. Recently my tree had white fluff on the branches and small black spots on the leaves, and some leaves were hanging off the branch with a white spiders web.

I bought the SB plant invigorator and bug killer, as it was recommended as a good pesticide. However, after using it, the problem seemed to get worse. Lots of leaves from the plant have fallen off, or turned yellow. My tree looks really barren compared to how it used to, and I'm worried it's going to die. I researched and I think the problem was due to spider mites. I would really appreciate some help and advice, especially any products to use and how often.

Many thanks! - Izzy
by i44y

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Help needed with potential spider mites and leaves falling off

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76377
First of all you need to be sure it is spider mites before you do anything else. Get a lupe.

The solution for spider mites is predatory mites. Totally environmental friendly. And if you havent allready, put the tree outdoors. If you dont have greenhouse and have identified the spider mites, wait to put it outside until infestation is solved.
by Tropfrog
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas, i44y

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Help needed with potential spider mites and leaves falling off

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76388
White fluff and black spots sounds like aphids, whooly aphids.

Do you have some pictures? My glass ball is broken.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: i44y

• jojo22
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 47

Replied by jojo22 on topic Help needed with potential spider mites and leaves falling off

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76413
The white fluff reminds me more of mealybugs
by jojo22
The following user(s) said Thank You: i44y

• i44y
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by i44y on topic Help needed with potential spider mites and leaves falling off

Posted 1 year 11 months ago #76415
Here’s some photos of the leaves that fell off, the black spots are much more noticeable in person. Thank you to everyone who helped I really appreciate it!
by i44y

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.