Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Citrus Species 1 year 1 week ago #79661

• Jevonty96
  • Jevonty96's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I just wanted to come on here and say thank-you to anyone in advance for reaching out and providing guidance. Recently I dug and styled a Mandarin orange tree. The styling came out completely amazing! I am extremely satisfied with the end result and will be sharing pictures once I have photographed such. I just had a general question about pesticide. The tree has been suffering in the ground for years holding onto the little foliage it could maintain each growing season. It was completely infested with Mealy bugs. I removed all of the leaves, rinsed it with water and gave it a hard pruning/ wiring to start its Bonsai journey. I just wanted to reach out to this community and see what you guys use to fight mealy bugs as I don't have pest/ diseases in my Bonsai Garden. Hence why I don't research much about combatting such. Once again Thank-you all in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Citrus Species 1 year 1 week ago #79663

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Pesticides is subject to hard regulations. The regulations differs in every country. What is awailable in one country may not be awailable where you live.

Since this is an international forum you may not get any good help. Better check with local bonsai hobbyists what they do.

My view on it is that healthy well maintained trees seldom gets problematic infestions and focus should be on finding the reason for the infestations rather than using poisons that have environmental impacts

The few posts I have experience with have been plucked off manually and I do use neem oil/soap/water mix a few times per year as prevention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jevonty96

Citrus Species 1 year 1 week ago #79668

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
Neem oil works pretty well. You probably want to take the tree outside, or maybe put it in tha bathtub. Neem oil is not as good for walls and carpets as it is for trees.

The smell is hard to get off your hands, so maybe plastic gloves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jevonty96

Citrus Species 1 year 1 week ago #79670

• Jevonty96
Thank-you so much, really appreciate the advice. It motivates me to take care of the tree with great respect so that I can restore its health. I'll stick to the plan and let nature takes its course along with my techniques in the mix. Im sure the tree will fend off bugs on its own once its fully restored! Once again Thank-you ;)

Citrus Species 1 year 1 week ago #79671

• Jevonty96
:)

• Page: