Bonsai forum

Insecticide for Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria)

• MalloBonsai66
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Insecticide for Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria) was created by MalloBonsai66

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #3960
Hi all,
I recently bought a Dwarf Jade only to notice that some sort of insect (they resemble, and are most likely, root mealybugs) comes out of the soil when I water. I read that Jades are very sensitive to insecticides, so I would like to know which kinds I could buy that wouldn't hurt my Jade.
Thanks!

P.S. Also, I have noticed wrinkled leaves on my Jade even though I have been watering properly. This is from the insects, right?
Last Edit:12 years 1 month ago by MalloBonsai66
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by MalloBonsai66. Reason: Something to add in the "P.S."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45

Replied by MWid on topic Re: Insecticide for Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria)

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #3963
Just as an idea... im Growing a few succulents (crassula's) and they really dont need much water at all, these plants are used to dry soils. So why not let the soil dry out for 3 to 4 days between watering and seee if this resolves the issue. hopefully the bugs will die off, or their eggs at least. How often are you watering it at the moment? I don't think the bugs are a big enough problem to buy insecticide for now.
by MWid

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62

Replied by Pinkham on topic Re: Insecticide for Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria)

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #3965
Here are a few options....
If you see mealy bugs on your plants, there are several control options:

Wash them away. Mealy bugs can be dislodged with a steady stream of water. Repeat the treatment as necessary. This is best for light infestations.
Insecticidal soap. Insecticidal soaps are available on the market (such as Safer's Insecticidal Soap), or you can make your own by using a dish detergent such as Ivory Liquid. Try to find a product free of perfumes and additives that might harm plants. Mix the soap in a weak concentration with water (starting a 1 teaspoon per gallon and increasing as necessary). Spray on plants.
Neem oil. Neem oil is derived from the neem tree. Use according to label instructions. In addition to its insecticidal properties, neem is also a fungicide and has systemic benefits (meaning the plant absorbs it so it can control insects it doesn't directly contact). According to the Environmental Protection Association, neem is safe for use on vegetables and food plants as well as ornamentals.
Kitchen insect spray. This all-purpose insect spray was developed by the editors of Organic Gardening magazine and came to me by way of Rodale's Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control. To make a batch, combine 1 garlic bulb, 1 small onion, and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a food processor or blender and process into a paste. Mix into 1 quart of water and steep for 1 hour. Strain through a cheesecloth and add 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap. Mix well. The mixture can be stored for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
by Pinkham
The following user(s) said Thank You: Youri1995

• MalloBonsai66
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by MalloBonsai66 on topic Re: Insecticide for Dwarf Jade (Portulacaria)

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #3970
MWid- Thanks for your reply! I've actually been watering every 5 or 6 days, as the tag that came with it said to.
Pinkham- Thank you! I think the water is actually working because I tried searching for the bugs to identify them by digging in the soil and bit and then pouring a bit of water. As I kept doing this, I noticed I could find no more bugs. Thanks again!
by MalloBonsai66