Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Japaness blak pine needs help 11 years 1 month ago #8136

• marshoot
  • marshoot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have a Japanese black pine that is 37 years old. Over the last 2 years my needles have been turning yellow with black tips. It has 2 trunks. The lower trunk is the worst, The needles have been staying short.
The main trunk grows strong but still the needles will start to turn. I took it out of the bonsai pot during the summer. I only 3 weeks left of the repotting season. I had tried to use volk oil on it but nothing has changed. I attached images of the tree.

What can I do now

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Japaness blak pine needs help 11 years 1 month ago #8138

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
i have seen yellowing of needles due to low light conditions and/or low fertalization,but it effects the whole needle not just the end. it looks like something is eating the ends off of the needles and they are dieing back from the damage. you may be able to catch the culprit by plucking the damaged needles and watching for more damage appearing to the green needles.keep us posted on youtr findings i am curious to know as i am sure you are too.

Japaness blak pine needs help 11 years 1 month ago #8141

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

i have seen yellowing of needles due to low light conditions and/or low fertalization,but it effects the whole needle not just the end. it looks like something is eating the ends off of the needles and they are dieing back from the damage. you may be able to catch the culprit by plucking the damaged needles and watching for more damage appearing to the green needles.keep us posted on youtr findings i am curious to know as i am sure you are too.

Hm.. I see no damage to the needles. I would look into the care; Watering, nutrition etc. Probably it would be best to find a good bonsaiist close-by and have them take a look at the tree. Diagnosing this over the internet is fairly dificult, imho.

Japaness blak pine needs help 10 years 11 months ago #8510

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
I have almost the same prob as you but mine is a bit worse.

mine went black after a period of yellow. Sorry if i hack the thread, but attached is a pic.

I am clueless on pines. This was a gift from a friend

This is how it started

And this is now

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Japaness blak pine needs help 10 years 11 months ago #8513

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Ayayay.. As far as I know pine, this is a goner. Pine and other evergreens usually only show problems in the foliage, long after the actual cause has started. So when the foliage starts to turn broawn, the roots typically have died already: The plant can survive on stored reserves for months, as it does not evaporate water as much as broadleaves varieties. I give this plant very little hope. Make sure you keep it on the dry side, and give it plenty of light. But I personally would toss this tree :(

Japaness blak pine needs help 10 years 11 months ago #8520

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
Thought that much. Seems I have to start studying pines a bit. Not happy about the outcome but hey, you win some , you lose some.

I'm gonna attempt to help it. But we are going into winter now so hope is little. Will try and construct a greenhouse before cold sets in

Japaness blak pine needs help 10 years 11 months ago #8527

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
pines are sooo very tricky. as my knowledge increases my admaration for those large old trees grows and my ideas of growing my own decreases. timing with work on pines is critical and one wrong move can ruin years of training and even kill the tree...
i had a mugo that slowly branch after branch yellowed and died over a summer .it sucks ive lost 2 already this spring but it opens space and pots for more endevors :P

• Page: