Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Juniper with possible spider mites? 11 years 1 week ago #8657

• ShinyDragonfly
  • ShinyDragonfly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm new to the world of Bonsai and I've begun noticing some webbing on my tree. The first time I saw it I thought it was just dust or cobweb like that had collected on the close branches- I have my tree in my college dorm and it is really dusty in here. A few moments ago I saw the web again, reaching from the roots to a branch. There seemed to be something small and transparent caught in it and I'm pretty sure it was dead. I've seen some black dots caught on leaves as well but I'm not sure what they are. They're smaller than caterpillar poop but remind me of it. I'm yet to see anything that seems like a living pest.

I did a quick google search and browsed this section of the forum here and taking advice, I held a white paper under the tree and tapped the branch. Nothing came off of the tree except for a few small leaf clusters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Juniper with possible spider mites? 11 years 1 week ago #8659

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Spider mites are quite obvious when you start looking for them, Tiny specks (really, think small like a grain of fine sand) in color ranging from milky all the way to almost black, in a reddish tone. And they wil be moving on the branches. However, Juniper do not often get spider mite, as far as I know UNLESS you have them sitting indoors.

Juniper with possible spider mites? 11 years 1 week ago #8660

• ShinyDragonfly
  • ShinyDragonfly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I do have my tree inside- I live in New England and the weather is still harsh and unpredictable here. Like I said, I have the tree in my university dorm room. However, I think I found the problem. Sometime after making this post I went and sprayed the tree with a strong stream of water from a spray bottle. Afterwards I was looking at the tree for more webs or other signs when a tiny spider (but definitely not a mite) actually came down from the tree. Perhaps it was only this and not a real pest at all.

Juniper with possible spider mites? 11 years 1 week ago #8676

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
If you wanna play it safe, get hold of some essential oil's like Clove Oil and Citronella Oil. 10 drops to a liter and spray the tree. Its helps for mites if any and it also smells better than other stuff

Juniper with possible spider mites? 11 years 6 days ago #8693

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
i encourage "regular" spiders to make homes in my trees. they are the most natural pest control you can find

• Page: