Bonsai forum

White Furry Growth

• annwright
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

White Furry Growth was created by annwright

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #8977
Hi. I have an English Myrtle tree. I bought it from a nursery and it was flowering and in very good condition. After about a month I noticed small black flys on the roots and the leaves started browing and curling up. Now there is white furry stuff under the bark and between the leaves and branches.
I use a spray bottle to water in the morning and the evening and once a week I water the tree. But I cant seem to get it right and to scared to get insecticide.
The tree looks very dry.
I would really appreciate if someone can help.
Thanks
by annwright

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gnarlwood
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 21

Replied by Gnarlwood on topic White Furry Growth

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #8979
Everyone would be happy to help you. However, you'll either have to supply photographs of the infestation or find a link to pictures you believe could be the pest.
by Gnarlwood

• sikadelic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10

Replied by sikadelic on topic White Furry Growth

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #8983
To me, albeit I am a first year Bonsai enthusiast, it seems that once a week waterings don't seem to be enough depending on your soil blend.

Also, I read somewhere that Myrtle trees don't respond well to bonsai training and can live approximately 20-25 years maximum when collected. Is there any truth to that? There are some beautiful wax myrtle specimens here that I had planned to collect until I heard that information.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just adding a little input.
by sikadelic

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic White Furry Growth

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #8987
the black flies are most likely fungus knats.they themselves are not an issue it is the constant wet soil that is breeding mold which is what the flies live on. you most likely have lost most if not all of your tree to root rot
by manofthetrees
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic White Furry Growth

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #8991

manofthetrees wrote: the black flies are most likely fungus knats.they themselves are not an issue it is the constant wet soil that is breeding mold which is what the flies live on. you most likely have lost most if not all of your tree to root rot

Thank you. Was a bit worried that nobody picked up on the mold spreading on roots & trunk.

This tree is 99,9% certain a goner. But do post a picture in case we misinterpret your description.
by leatherback

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic White Furry Growth

Posted 10 years 11 months ago #8995
You can brush the fungus off with a soft toothbrush, you should not be watering to a schedule, it should be done when needed. It does sound as if it is too wet. Stop spraying also. I assume that it outside.
by m5eaygeoff